Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configure Airport Extreme for a Verizon Network Extender

How do I configure the Airport Extreme for a Verizon Network Extender (Samsung SCS-2U01) for reducing dropped cell phone calls (VoIP) by giving priority to this connection? Connection is via ethernet CAT5 from the Sansung unit to the Airport unit. The Airport is 2012 vintage. Verizon technical suggested:

Performance Monitoring show intermittent high packet loss.

This is caused by setting in the router or defective router.

Please advise customer to contact their ISP for assistance to login into their router to set the Network Extender as the DMZ server in the router. If supported by the router, enable QoS and give the Network Extender highest priority.

This will help prevent packet loss that results in lost/broken audio and dropped /missed calls.

Thanks

Marc

Airport Extreme-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 7:41 PM

QoS or Quality of Service is not a settable feature of the AirPort routers.

If I understand the "set the Network Extrender as the DMZ server in the router" properly then it may be possible to configure the AirPort Extreme to place the Verizon Extender inside a DMZ. Apple calls this a "Default Host." Defining a network device as such places it inside a DMZ. This would mean that the AirPort's firewall would be bypassed to allow direct connections from the Internet to this device.

You set the default host using the AirPort Utility, as follows:

• Run the AirPort Utility.
  • Select the Extreme, and then, select Edit.
  • Select the Network tab, and then, select Network Options...
  • Select the "Enable default host at" option," and then, enter the static local IP address of the Verizon Extender.
  • Select Save, and then, select Update.
18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2013 7:41 PM in response to marcvg

QoS or Quality of Service is not a settable feature of the AirPort routers.

If I understand the "set the Network Extrender as the DMZ server in the router" properly then it may be possible to configure the AirPort Extreme to place the Verizon Extender inside a DMZ. Apple calls this a "Default Host." Defining a network device as such places it inside a DMZ. This would mean that the AirPort's firewall would be bypassed to allow direct connections from the Internet to this device.

You set the default host using the AirPort Utility, as follows:

• Run the AirPort Utility.
  • Select the Network tab, and then, select Network Options...
  • Select the "Enable default host at" option," and then, enter the static local IP address of the Verizon Extender.
  • Select Save, and then, select Update.

Nov 14, 2013 8:48 AM in response to marcvg

This would either be something that you assigned the Extender via its administrator interface or by taking advantage of your AirPort's DHCP Reservation feature where you can assign a static IP address from the DHCP pool of addresses that your base station provides to network clients.

You can access this feature via the AirPort Utility, as follows:

• Run the AirPort Utlity.
  • Select the Network tab.
  • Click on the "+" button under the DHCP Reservation field.
  • Enter the MAC address of the Extender and the desired IP Address.
  • Click on Save, and then, on Update

Sep 16, 2015 12:14 AM in response to marcvg

I just bought an Apple AirPort Time Machine, and have a Samsung Verizon Network Extender (VNE, for short). When my VNE was hooked up to my link-sys wifi router, I had no problems with it. But now hooked up to my AirPort, I'll get the blue Power and WAN LEDs but it stalls on the "slow blinking red" SYS and a solid red GPS. Anyone have any ideas? It's been stuck on this for HOURS.

Sep 16, 2015 8:10 AM in response to faeriesforever6

Verizon network extenders automatically open a VPN tunnel back to their home servers. You *should* not have to set static IPs, make DHCP reservations or open ports for it to function. You do not have to put it in the DMZ either. That's a stock answer by Tech. Support to rule out NAT issues.

Since there is no QoS available on your Airport, you'll have to make sure nothing is saturating your upstream or downstream bandwidth. It's very easy to saturate upstream bandwidth in particular as it's often a fraction of your download speed. Use a network monitoring tool or run a SpeedTest to see what the story is. Saturation would definitely cause packet loss.

Sep 16, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Fugufish

I currently have NOTHING using the Internet. My speed is as fast as it can go (50mpbs download, 25mpbs upload - I checked). I've been working at this for over 12 hours now. I called Apple support and they said it must be an issue with Verizon. I call Verizon and they say nothing is wrong with their systems or my Network Extender, and that it must be something to do with Apple -- a Verizon tech even did a Google search and came across this thread. When I called Apple back, the guy I spoke with gave me absolutely NO help. Said that they can't touch the DMZ. I'm ready to return the **** AirPort Time Capsule. I'm getting so fed up. If someone can give me steps on exactly how to make it work, I will do it. I don't know what else to do.

Sep 16, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Michsunshine

So I just got home after going to pick my daughter up from school. I hadn't called my cable company or anything, but now, for some reason, it works!! YAY! 🙂

Before that, I had unplugged everything (modem, Airport, network extender), and booted everything up in order.. Modem, then wifi when the modem was up and running, and then the Network extender. I reset all the options I did for the Airport (trying to add the DMZ, DHCP reservations, etc), and just let it be. I was so frustrated around 1pm, I went and took a nap haha. Got up from my nap, didn't even check the network extender, went to get my daughter, came back home and happened to glance at my phone, and noticed I had 4 bars... Eureka! It worked! Maybe I complained enough to Verizon that they re-sent the signal to it? I don't know. But it works!

Thanks michsunshine & fugufish for the help!!!!

Jan 25, 2016 4:07 PM in response to Kevinwal

HI Kevinwal. I see you use Cox for your internet. Chances are your problem is with their modem. I had to call Brighthouse and tell them how to set up my modem, then My extender worked perfectly. First look at your modem and see what kind it is, Arris, etc. then go to this Verizon page and it will tell you what you need to relate to Cox. Chances are Cox will not know what you need as they will not be familiar with a network extender. http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/network-extender-router-configuration/

Configure Airport Extreme for a Verizon Network Extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.