Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Bookmarks Backup from Time Machine

Hello Everyone, I'm having trouble restoring my safari bookmarks from a Time Machine back up. Im running OSX 10.8.5 on a mac book pro retina. I have tried to go into the user library and just copy the safari bookmarks folder and lists, delete the current (default) bookmarks and it didn't work. The default book marks still appear on the browser even tho they are deleted. Can you help me restore my safari bookmarks please?

Thanks

-Jay

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 7:58 AM

11 replies

Nov 15, 2013 11:33 AM in response to Jay Cengiz

Hey Jay Cenglz,

Thanks for the question. The following featured discussions included users with related questions, some of which were solved:

How can I restore bookmarks to Safari?: Apple Support Communities

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3618832

Using Time Machine...

The file you need is Bookmarks.plist located in ~/LIbrary/Safari

via Carolyn Samit

Safari Bookmarks Location: Apple Support Communities

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3148191

Thanks,

Matt M.

Nov 25, 2013 12:59 PM in response to matt00

Thanks for the response Matt, However its not working. I found the old Bookmarks.plist file and copied it over, but its not registering on safari. I have restarted the computer and the safari. No luck. Also, the file wasnt located in the direct Library/Safari. It was in users/owner/Caches/metadata/safari/bookmarks. Which is odd to me because all of the forum dont mention any of that. Is there something im missing? I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jay

Dec 2, 2013 5:15 PM in response to andyBall_uk

andyBall,

Thanks for the help. you shed some light on my issue and I was able to resolve it. Incase anyone else has the same issue i just wanted to reiterate this journey.

When i rebooted the MAC for the second time, I wasn't able to use time machine itself but the information was still on the hard drive. Since I had to manually go into the hard drive to find the files, i couldnt just go to the finder go menu hold alt. to discover the user library folder. Library under users is indeed a hidden file. So i had to show all hidden files in order to find the correct file. In retrospect it is quite simple however with the variety of folders labeled library, it had thrown my for a loop.

PS: in order to show hidden files, open up terminal and enter the following code

"defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles True"

then you had to restart finder with the command

"killall Finder"

Then to hide the files to prevent accidental deletion of importent doc, replace false with "True".

Jan 28, 2014 4:09 PM in response to Jay Cengiz

Hi Jay Cengiz,

I am having the same problem you described as far as getting my bookmarks back. And all the advice the guy gave you didnt work for me either. I have tried doing the terminal like you said but was unable to find the library under users. I haven't used terminal before so maybe I am doing it wrong. Any help would me great thanks. Also once I do find the bookmarks I need where do I put them so I can use them again with Safari?

Jan 28, 2014 4:34 PM in response to Cole75

I think once you figure out how to show the hidden files it will be easier and that's likely your only obstecale in getting this done. Its case sensitive and also varys slightly from different operating systems. So make sure your using the right code for your system to show files and dont forget to reset finder by "killall Finder" command in terminal. I attached a screen shot for you. I hope this helps!

User uploaded file

Safari Bookmarks Backup from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.