Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini retina speakers/volume

I just picked up my retina mini a few days ago and have noticed that the speakers/volume act a little glitchy. For example, I'll be listening to music on Spotify or watching a YouTube video, and all of a sudden (and without any prompting by me), the volume will randomly drop down by about 10-15% on its own. More telling is the "sound effects" volume (e.g., the keyboard clicks): increasing the sound effects volume to max will DECREASE the volume of the keyboard clicks. But then decreasing the volume to about mid range will actually INCREASE the volume (decreasing the volume further from mid range will then decrease the volume until mute, as it's supposed to). So basically, the mid range of the volume scale outputs the loudest volume and the min and max ranges will output the softest volume. This can't be normal, right?

Just wondering if anyone else who got a new retina mini is experiencing any weird speaker/sound issues. As it was just released, I wouldn't be surprised if I got a buggy unit. Or maybe I'm just hearing things.

And I'll note that having never used a mini (only an iPad and iPad 2), the max volume is surprisingly soft. Comparing the same ring tone on my iPhone 5 and the mini on max volume, the iPhone sounds louder (though the mini does produce a tiny amount of "rumble" for better low end sound, I guess). Again, though, maybe mine's just defective.

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 9:04 AM

122 replies

Nov 19, 2013 7:26 AM in response to MBPguy07

My ipad mini retina display also have the lower speaker volume than my iphone5.

The difference can be tested on the Settings/Sounds on both devices. Most prominent test result is trying the "Pulse" ringtone whereas my iphone5 is louder than my ipad mini retina.

I also noticed the lower volume while watching youtube on the ipad mini retina vs iphone5.

I wonder if this is the same across all ipad mini retina to have lower speaker volume or this is a faulty speaker problem on my device?

Nov 20, 2013 11:13 PM in response to penangites

Same problem.

Mi "ipad mini retina" has lower speaker volume than my "ipad mini". And has no good quality of sound like my previous ipad mini has (specially low tones). Testing audio of both ipad mini together the difference is clear.

I'm surprised because for everything else ipad mini retina is better.

I don't know if this is a common problem, or is my device that has a faulty speaker.

Nov 21, 2013 7:00 AM in response to MBPguy07

I went to a Grand Central apple store yesterday to do a comparison with their test/display unit and mine. The sound difference is very prominent. I then make a reservation with the genius bar to get it diagnos what seem to be causing the problem. They able to verify the problem, but have no knowledge of what seem to cause it to have low volume. The best they could do is to replace the whole unit for me (I didn't setup in store until I got home) but the new unit still have the same issue with low volume. I now have to make another trip.

Looks like this may be a widespread issue. I can't believe 2 of my units are having the same problems.

Nov 27, 2013 2:47 AM in response to MBPguy07

Finding the same issue on my iPad mini with retina display.

Volume had to be at Max, just to barely hear!

This is in a quiet room with no other background noise interfering.

Was wondering if it was worth making a trip to the apple store.

Curious how wide spread this might be? Hardware / software issue ?

Also have the iPad air & volume is day/night difference.

At the moment tad disappointed. Am noticing few hiccups with wifi when

streaming YouTube or other videos. Stuttering / loss of frames, along with

volume issues.

Nov 27, 2013 7:44 AM in response to GadgetGuy416

I have hiccup with streaming youtube (sometimes) but wifi interuption can be varies interms of connectivity/walls. I would highly suggest that you speak with genius bar regarding your sound issues. But like I said in my previous post, they probably won't have any idea what caused the problem they may offer to swap your unit for a newer one. If they do swap a new unit for you, please test it at the premise before you leave because my newly swapped unit still have a low sound quality.

Nov 30, 2013 5:14 PM in response to MBPguy07

Just back from the AppleStore because I have the same issue. Apple is now aware of the issue and has this problem flagged for "Capture", which means they are collected and sent back to engineers in Cupertino.

Hey Apple, how come your very own website here does not work with your very own built in spell-check? You're setting a terribly bad example. 😮

Dec 1, 2013 2:14 AM in response to MBPguy07

Hi all, I do have the same problem with my ipad mini retina display is having lower speaker volume.. How I noticed was that when I play the same game between ipad with retina display and ipad mini with retina display, the volume bar I set to get the same volume amount is significantly different between these two. I am from Singapore and there is no official store here, I don't know what to do... Apple u are disappointing me again and again !!!!!!!!

iPad mini retina speakers/volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.