Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After downgrading to v10.7 iTunes keeps reverting to v11.1

I recently allowed iTunes to upgrade to the latest version and like many other people, disliked the new look so much that I decided to uninstall it and try to go back to version 10.7. I found the information I needed to do this on this community ( thanks turingtest!).

I was very relieved to be able to get 10.7 back and running smoothly and everything seemed to be in place as before except that some tracks were marked with ! iTunes did not know the location of these tracks but I was able to correct all of them. My previous version before the update was an earlier version than 10.7 and I was very pleased to see the new feature allowing me to re download some purchases which had gone missing during a transfer to a new computer two years ago.

Upon rebooting the next day iTunes had reverted to version 11.1 I uninstalled it, rebooted, installed 10.7, replaced the iTunes Library.itl file with a saved version from the first 10.7 installation and the program opened, running 10.7 perfectly with the changes I had made the day before intact.

Since then I have had to repeat this uninstalling an reinstalling half a dozen times. 10.7 just will not stay in place. The length of time it stays varies from a couple of days to an hour or two. Rebooting does not seem to always trigger the change and using sleep rather than shut down does not seem to keep 10.7 in place. The reversion to 11.1 seems to happen instantly and it even happens while the computer is running, once it even happened while iTunes 10.7 was running but minimised. I have never seen any software behave like this before!

I have tried uninstalling everything Apple related - iTunes updater, Apple App Support, Mobile Me and Bonjour but to no avail. They are all reinstalled with 10.7 anyway but just uninstalling iTunes Updater did not help, nor did checking 'Do not check for updates' in Preferences. I recently disabled System Restore also. This morning 10.7 opened and then with in five minutes I was back to 11.1

I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit

iPod touch, Windows Vista

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 4:45 PM

7 replies

Nov 23, 2013 3:14 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks turungtest2! I found the other thread very interesting - the only other person I have seen with the same problem I am having. I use AVG free edition 2014 and I don't know if it could be doing something similar.

Since asking my question here I looked elsewhere for help and stumbled on the blog linked below. I don't know how to link my part of the discussion on that page or if the link below will even take you there but I have had quite a dialogue with the blog owner, Commorancy, which starts about a quarter of the way down the page. My user name there is Anthony.

http://randosity.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/revert-back-to-itunes-10-from-itunes-1 1/comment-page-2/

We are at the point now where he thinks a fresh install of Windows might be the best solution. If I can avoid that I will, so your opinion would be very welcome. Thanks for the hello!

Nov 23, 2013 3:48 PM in response to tender49

The links were broken but I got there in the end: http://randosity.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/revert-back-to-itunes-10-from-itunes-1 1/comment-page-2/

I still think the most likely trigger is a "helper" app, like the one I linked to earlier. I'm fairly sure Dell, HP and others include their own. Note also that installing iTunes will normally install Apple Software Update so the first thing to do post install is to check the settings or uninstall it.

FWIW....

The main differences between iTunes 11 and earlier versions are the loss of coverflow and ability to have multiple windows open.

In Windows, you can restore much of the look & feel of earlier versions with these shortcuts:

• ALT to temporarily display the menu bar
  • CTRL+B to show or hide the menu bar
  • CTRL+S to show or hide the sidebar
  • CTRL+/ to show or hide the status bar (won't hide for me on Win XP)
  • Click the magnifying glass top right and untick Search Entire Library to restore the old search behaviour
  • Use View > Hide <Media Kind> in the cloud or Edit > Preferences > Store and untick Show iTunes in the cloud purchases to hide the cloud items. The second method eliminates the cloud status column (and may let iTunes start up more quickly)
  • If you don't like having different coloured background & text in the Album (Grid) view use Edit > Preferences > General and untick Use custom colours for open albums, movies, etc.
  • Edit > Preferences > General > Show list views for all media does what it says
  • With iTunes 11.0.3 and later you can enable artwork in the Songs view from View > Show View Options (CTRL+J) making it more like the old Album List view
  • View > Show View Options (CTRL+J) also contains options to change the sorting of grid based views

tt2

Nov 26, 2013 1:30 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your FWIW turingtest2 For me it is all about Cover Flow! I have spent hours placing album art onto my music files - sometimes with the original album art but a lot of my music has my own chosen image. I will use iTunes 10 for as long as it is operable and I don't need to sync any further with my iPod Touch ( my phone is an Android) or even shop at the store if v10 stops allowing it.

Apologies for the delay in responding. Here is what's been happening, quoted from my response to my other helper on the blog.

"I decided to give AVG free a rest and removed it using their removal tool. Installed Microsoft Security Essentials, updated it and performed a full system scan – which took over four hours to complete. It found four ‘Severe’ malware infections all trojans related to ‘Java exploit’. MSE was able to fix them all and I used the Java website to remove old Java versions (which I thought I had already dealt with!)

I ran sfc /scannow again and it found and repaired corrupt files in two consecutive passes. I have now looked at the CBS log file and searched it using ‘Find’ with ‘repair corrupted files’ as the phrase to find. In all the later instances of many sfc runs the only file it repairs is InetRes.adml / inetres.admx which seems to be a known Vista problem to do with Internet Explorer version changes referenced here –

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/ed6150a3-e8f5-442 c-b6f1-ddf8c26d49b1/sfc-failures-after-ie9-installed-on-2008-x64-sp2?forum=winse rvergen

Hope that link works better than the last one I supplied. For now I am not going to worry about sfc. I have installed iTunes 10 again and it has been resident and running perfectly for 30 hours and through reboots. I don’t know if the problem is fixed or not and it could be that your advice about rebuilding may be a final solution. If that solution is needed it will have to wait until January as this is a very busy time of year for me. I am hoping it will not be necessary – and will certainly update you. This machine is over five years old so I might be better just upgrading to a new one. Thanks for all your help."

I made the decision to retire AVG free after re-reading your link to the only other person I have seen experiencing the same problem I have with the reversion to iTunes 11. You have indeed been helpful to me - thank you.

I will let you know if my iTunes preferred version 'sticks' this time around.

After downgrading to v10.7 iTunes keeps reverting to v11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.