Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't select my phone number for iMessage (-sigh- Yeah, this problem again)

Let me explain the whole scenario:

My iMessage and FaceTime worked perfectly fine this morning.
I turned off my iMessage to check if I would be able to get messages from other iPhones.

My observation is that when an iPhone has their iMessage turned off and someone else who sends an imessage to that phone, their message would automatically turn to "text" messages instead of imessages. (Whoa, that sounds a bit confusing).

Anyway, I turned my iMessage back on and what do you know, I can't click my phone number because it's grey

I'm only able to select my emails. So for "send and recieve" it says "No address" (Because i didn't select anything, I'm waiting for my phone number to 'magically' get selected)

I have tried so many things and it's irritating.

My Facetime worked well, I would turn it off and back on and my number would get selected instantly. And I messed around with it, turning it off and back on to see if it'll automatically choose my number and it did. But I turned it off and on again and now It doesn't choose anything, it just says "Waiting for Activation"

But now after so many attempts of trying to turn it off and back on just to fix this iMessage crap, I can't even sign in to my apple id anymore. It says that I can't sign in and that I need to check my network connection. (I'm using wi-fi. And it's working perfectly fine; My network connection is fine)

So now, I'm really screwed. my iMessage and Facetime don't work anymore.

I'm really looking for a solution to this annoying problem.

By the way, it's an iPhone 4s and my carrier is T-Mobile.

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 5:02 AM

I just did this method, and it seems to have worked. I noticed I wasn't receiving iMessages from my overseas buddies on my new phone, but they were coming through on my iPad. My number in grey wasn't ticked. I went through this method and now it is ticked. Thank you!

51 replies

Dec 23, 2013 7:55 AM in response to E.L.A.95

I had the same issue. I cannot tell you why it happend although it may be tied to me changing my Apple ID passowrd.

Regardless, this was the solution for me:

• Go to "Settings" on your device (I used my iPhone 5s).
  • Scroll down and select "Messages".
  • Select "Send & Receive".
  • Touch your "Apple ID: yourid@youremail.com" (top line in blue text).
  • Touch "Sign Out".
  • From the Messages window turn iMessage back on and sign back into your Apple ID account.

Your phone number should now be selected by default. Select the email addresses you also want assoaciated with your iMessages account and click "Next". It will verify your info and your DONE!

Jan 23, 2015 4:32 PM in response to E.L.A.95

In order to get the phone number checked, you must sign out of ALL your apple devices from those services. So if you have more than just the one device you need to sign out of FaceTime and iMessage on all of the device.

Next give your phone a good 2 button reset but pressing and holding the sleep/wake button and the home button until you see the Apple logo. Once it starts back up, sign into FaceTime and iMessage on your phone first. After it's activated and all is good, sign in on the other device.

Good luck

I can't select my phone number for iMessage (-sigh- Yeah, this problem again)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.