Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S - 64GB, iOS 7.0.4 - Songs deleting

I finally updated to iOS 7.0.4 yesterday; I never upgraded to 7 before, as everyone I knew had major complaints.

I have the 64GB iPhone 4S. I love music and listen to the iPod feature all the time, especially when I'm in the library at school.

Well, ever since I updated to iOS 7.0.4, the phone deletes songs when I try to play them. It will delete the whole album in seconds, one song at a time, starting with the song I tried to play first. It will delete every song by an artist, until I stop it. I cannot get it to stop doing this.

i.e.: The Rolling Stones, I have 16 albums on my iPhone. Well, not anymore! It deleted every song!

Some people need to be fired over this. I cannot believe that they didn't recognize this issue before releasing the update. Fire them and kick them in the butt on the way out the door!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4, 64 GB

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 2:44 PM

21 replies

Nov 17, 2013 2:52 PM in response to deadblue

Are you asking a question? This is a user to user technical support forum, not Apple. You are not addressing them here. I have not witnessed any behavior as you describe with the music I have on my device with iOS 7.0.4. I still have my entire library of music, 5.8GB worth. Besides, your music is in your iTunes library, just sync it back to the device.

Nov 17, 2013 2:52 PM in response to deadblue

IF the songs which were purchased using the itunes store WERE deleted from your mobile device, you can always go to your settings of your device to itunes and app store and go down to where it shows the option to automatcailly download music and this then will automatically download whatever purchases you've made using the itunes store back to your device. If they songs you are losing were not purchased through itunes you then will need to go to your storage device where you synced from to renew the songs to your device. If you will refrence your user manual regarding your device it clearly states that mobile devices are not designed as solid storage devices but more a place to keep your favorites such that you are able to access them in different venues. A word to the wise college student PLEASE keep all your music stored on a dependable storage device and only have your favorite songs on your mobile devices.

Good luck.

Nov 17, 2013 2:58 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I want to know if anyone else is having this issue. I will be going to the Apple store tomorrow to discuss with them.

I have the 64GB iPhone 4S.

It currently says I have 33.0 GB free, Capacity is 57.2 GB.

I have turned off iCloud, because I thought that may be the issue. It continues to delete songs from my iPhone.

You have 5.8 GB of music. I had around 50 GB of music; now much less.

It is frustrating; also going through the forums and not finding anyone else with this particular issue.

I'm still saying Apple needs to fire someone over this.

Nov 17, 2013 3:02 PM in response to PhilipRoy

I have a computer, as well as a portable 2 TB hardriive where my music is stored.

I have thousands of albums; am a music junkie.

Before upgrading to 7.0.4, I had no problem having 500 albums on my iPhone.

Now, it wants to delete anything and everything.

Why would one by a 64 GB iPhone if they didn't intend on using it to store music, video, whatever...

I'm in the school library as I type. I am beyond frustrated; trying to do Finance homework, and no tunes to block out all the people talking around me. 😟

Nov 17, 2013 3:09 PM in response to deadblue

Have you tried to re-sync the music. It sounds as if something in your library didn't sync right. When you come here and find no one else having the issue, does it not make you believe this is isolated? How were you getting music to your phone to start with? The action of deleting songs from a device when you attempt to play them is generally indicative of the music not existing on the device, so it removes the song title when you try and play it. Connect the device back to iTunes and sync your library back to the device. It should work alright. I can almost assure you it is not because of your update to iOS 7x that caused this music problem. While updating the phone might have corrupted your music, it was not specific to iOS 7.0.4. Again, you have the music available, just sync it back and you should be just fine.

Out of curiosity, when you look at the chart at the bottom of iTunes, what does it display in regards to "Other"?

Nov 17, 2013 10:37 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well, I see more than a few people who are identifying a similar issue, though, not explaining it in the same way.

My iTunes is running on a computer running Windows 7, and the most up to date iTunes (just updated it yesterday).

As to your comment re: "Other" accounts for only 258 MB.

Interstingly, it shows 43.24 GB (5626 songs) on the iPhone.

I've gone through iTunes on the computer and many of the songs that were deleted from the iPhone are playing just fine. I'm not a computer expert by any means (Business Marketing major), but I think that if there was a corruption of the music files, then they wouldn't play as expected on the computer, no?

I'm doing another sync right now; I'll report anything that happens.

Nov 18, 2013 2:39 AM in response to deadblue

I have this issue too. After updating my iPad Mini's OS to the new iOS 7.0.4 and updating my iTunes to the latest version, half my music wouldn't play. Not only that, my videos can't be played too. Song that are mostly not playable are the ones that I didn't purchase from iTunes Store. The ones that I exported from my CDs and those being bought online can't be played as well.

Whenever I tried to play my songs, it gets greyed out until it shuffles to a song that was bought on iTunes. I'm also very sure not all songs bought on the iTunes can be played as well.

I really hope Apple resolves this issue soon because I have to work with the music and videos.

Nov 18, 2013 2:41 PM in response to deadblue

I have the same problem with my iphone 5. It deleted all my songs and now i can't sync any music from itunes (on a mac) to my iphone 5. I went to the apple store today and they told me it was a problem with the ios 7.0.4 update and that i would have to wait till the next update. An iphone with no music *****... Please fix that real quick. They did everything, reboot, restore, and no results.

Nov 18, 2013 2:44 PM in response to deadblue

I am talking about the corruption occurring during the sync of music. The files still exist on the computer and nothing is wrong, however during the sync something occurs. This has happened more than once during iOS upgrades. I don't remember which one, but despite the fact that iTunes showed content on my phone, if I went into the music app, there was no music showing there. Syncing again with iTunes brought the music back. However, that time, the "Other" on the phone reflected a very large amount, in the 5-7GB range. The resync brought the music back to the music player and removed that additional space in Other. It is just one of those things that can happen during an upgrade.

Nov 19, 2013 10:51 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Resync doesn't work and I've seen many people with the same issue. They played with my iphone 5 and macbook pro for like an hour yesterday at the apple store. The syncing always stop when this message appears : Waiting for changes to be applied. Look on this thread, it seems like there are more than enough people with this problem for Apple to get it fixed quickly. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5324398?start=555&tstart=0

Nov 20, 2013 11:30 PM in response to deadblue

Hello I have the ipad 32Gb and i just downloaded to ios 7.0.4 and after the download was complete all my songs did not down load correcly I used to have 1,200 songs and now I only have like 588 I had made playlists with selected songs that I love to listen to on a day to day basis and now it shows I have the playlists on my ipad but shows no songs in any of the folders and I had quite a bit of music in every playlist I'm so frustrated and now because of this i'm not downloading the software on my ipod touch 5th gen 32Gb because atleast I still have that to be normal and have all my music and playlists working properly!!!!

Dec 5, 2013 5:04 PM in response to deadblue

Just wanted to say that this exact thing is happening to me too: Since upgrading to 7.0.4, iPhone 4S 64GB is rapidly deleting many of my albums when I try to play them. I also noticed that songs that I downloaded on iTunes years ago and later deleted are now randomly reappearing on my iPhone.

Also, sync takes about 15 minutes, and then I check my phone and absolutely nothing has changed.

Incredibly frustrating. I hope somebody figures out a solution or we get a fresh update or something.

iPhone 4S - 64GB, iOS 7.0.4 - Songs deleting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.