Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charger won't fit in slot anymore

Hi - so I just got the iPhone 5s and I suddenly can no longer fit the charger into the slot. It only goes so far until there is resistance. I have had it 2 weeks and have never dropped it - I have treated it like a new born baby. Checked for lint and rocks etc - Nada. What gives?

iPhone 5s

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2016 8:06 AM

The phone got wet and charger won't fit....what can i do the phone works fine....can i break down the corrosion. Some how

25 replies

Apr 4, 2017 8:10 PM in response to hailstorm87

To whoever is on this website looking for answers,

My mother experienced this exact problem where her charcher wouldn't go into the port (she has an iPhone 6s) She tried using different chargers and outlets but it seemed to not be the case. By looking into the port it may look like "there's nothing" but don't be fooled. Grab a flashlight (I used my phones flashlight) and look into the port. If you do not see two little holes at the back of the port (or where you look directly into it) then there's something stuck in there. Get something small like a toothpick and carefully stick the toothpick in the port. Go ahead and scrape around, if you pull the toothpick out and there's gunk on it keep scrapeing around to get the rest out. Now it helps if every once in a while put the charger in to see if it goes in all the way. In my experience there was a waxy thing stuck in it. So I put the toothpick all they way in the "wax" and was able to scrape it out from there. But some cases may be easier or harder. Now if there truthfully is nothing in there go to the Apple Store!

Oct 13, 2017 3:41 PM in response to hailstorm87

I had this problem today. Visual inspection with a flashlight but no magnification didn't show much except that the socket hole was not as deep as it should be. I took the flexible plastic toothpick out of a Swiss army knife and gently scraped the bottom of the socket with the tip. Then I tapped the phone on a piece of white paper and saw some debris (dirt) come out of the hole. I continued this and after I made a good start, a lot of debris came out. Finally, I pulled out a large piece of pocket lint.

I suspect that if a little dirt gets in the hole, pushing the plug into the socket compacts the dirt into a flat layer, and if enough dirt gets in there, the plug will no longer connect.

The solution is to clean the socket out gently with a flexible plastic tool, such as the toothpick in a Swiss army knife, so that you do not damage the pins. To prevent the problem the phone should be kept in a clean pocket, or in my case, where my pockets just aren't clean, I will keep the socket covered with a bit of gaffer's tape when not in use.

Jan 17, 2014 1:26 PM in response to hailstorm87

yes my ipod touch is the same way. In fact, only after having it a day this occured. Then the problem seemed to mysteriously end. Now it is back again. I've looked into the slot, using a magnifier, and their is "nothing in there." I believe that the problem must be shoddy production, on some of the models. Unfortunately the nearest apple store, to me is 50 miles away. The port sure is tiny, but I will tryusing a toothpick. Very disastisfied customer !!!

Jun 7, 2016 8:24 AM in response to hailstorm87

I was so happy to read these replies late last night when I found I had the same problem. I had splashed a small amount of water on my iphone 5 and immediately enclosed it in a baggie of rice. Late last night when I remove it fm the rice, I tried to charge it and I could not fit the cord into the phone charging slot. After reading these replies , I poked in the charging slot with a sewing needle and was able to extricate a piece of rice! ( the rice was wedged in and not distinguishable, even with a bright light). I am happy to say my phone is charging well and working fine. Thank you to all who took the time to reply with your good information!

Nov 19, 2013 8:15 PM in response to hailstorm87

My wife had a simlar issue with her iPhone 5 a while back. She had a large piece of pocket lint in the port which I removed with a couple toothpicks I used as mini-chopsticks. Once the debris was removed form the port, her iPhone has been fine. I suggest you check that with your iPhone.

One other comment is that I have heard stories of people using cheap third party cables and the end of the connector breaking off in the port. If this has happened to you, you should see it when you check for other debris in the port.

Charger won't fit in slot anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.