Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deaf Company applying for Developer Program hitting a snag

A month ago I applied for the Apple Developer Program.

I and my partner, we are Deaf, and founded a company. We are developing a visual communication system for sign language users. We, the founders, and the customers are Deaf. We released our visual communication service about three weeks ago. In our multi-language country the sign language community is very excited about our service, because it overcomes language barriers. We also got a note from European Deaf communities because a Deaf in a country might not be able to write the language of another Deaf's country, but they are able to send messages to each other in International Sign Language.

Of course we want to develop an app for our service on iOS. Therefore we applied for the Apple Developer Program. However we were hit by a snag. It seems to be required that Apple calls back for verification.

How can you phone a Deaf person?

I offered alternative communication. Short message service, Skype, Whatsapp, old reliable email, whatever.

We got an email after a week that our case has been escalated. After another week an email pleading for patience. This has been two weeks ago. Four weeks have passed since the application. And now nobody answers anymore when I send emails or support forms requesting a status update.

It's like Apple died.

We want to be treated as everyone else. If phoning is not possible because of a handicap there are other solutions to contact us. It's the same as providing accessibility to buildings and websites. The Apple Developer Program has to provide accessibility like everyone else.

My partner is very disappointed in Apple. He said, Apple believes that Deaf people are dumb and not able to develop software.

Apple, what are you up to? How can we register for the Apple Developer Program?

iOS 7, Accessibility

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 5:10 AM

20 replies

Nov 20, 2013 5:45 PM in response to nalply

Unfortunately you are not addressing Apple here, just other users like yourself. The moderators have been notified of this and might be able to notify someone higher up of the situation.

I'm surprised however about the call back requirement. This wasn;t the case in the past unless there was some problem with the application. Usually everything is just down through the developer website. How far into the application were you when you were told that a callback was required?

I'll see if the hosts will move this to the Developer Forums, there might be others there that were in your situation and can offer help.

good luck

regards

Nov 21, 2013 2:06 PM in response to nalply

nalply wrote:

It seems to be required that Apple calls back for verification.

No, it is required that anyone applying for a business account be able to identify themselves as a legal entity. If you are applying under an individual account, your credit card is sufficient for that. If you are applying as a business, you need a DUNS number and other documentation to verify you are who you say you are. There is a massive amount of fraud in the developer programs. There a also a massive number of people complaining that Apple does not accept their DUNS number or other documentations.

Four weeks have passed since the application. And now nobody answers anymore when I send emails or support forms requesting a status update.

And I think next week is Thanksgiving in the US and all Apple employees are taking the week off I hear. I'm sure that problem will clear up in December.

From what I see with a couple of Google searches, two months is pretty standard for a business account.

It's the same as providing accessibility to buildings and websites. The Apple Developer Program has to provide accessibility like everyone else.

No, it isn't. The Apple Developer program is not a public building or service. There is absolutely nothing keeping you out of the developer program. You are asking for business account. That requires additional verification.

My partner is very disappointed in Apple. He said, Apple believes that Deaf people are dumb and not able to develop software.

Now that is just silly. Why would he say that? And why would you repeat it here? It doesn't help your cause.

Nov 22, 2013 2:39 AM in response to nalply

Yesterday we got the access to the Developer Program. Yes, we had to give one of our two DUNS numbers.

It's not the first time a company wanted to phone us. It's posing a problem to us. Last year it was difficult to get an extended validation SSL certificate, because someone needed to call back for verification. It's cumbersome.

etresoft, do you know a Deaf developer yourself?

Nov 22, 2013 5:40 AM in response to nalply

What do my colleagues have to do with your problems getting a developer account?

It seems your problems are now resolved. You have received your business developer account in about half the time it normally takes. While Apple was escalating your problem and looking for a resolution, you were trashing them in public. Way to go.

Nov 22, 2013 8:06 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft, please stop being angry.

It's not about your colleagues. If you know a Deaf software engineer you would know more about their handicaps. Like phone support not being possible. Do you know how essential phoning is today? Delivery people phone ahead to check if anybody is home. Many forms have phone numbers required. Customs try to phone me to find out what to do with the package. Apple tried to phone us. The CA tried to phone us.

Anyway: We are happy that we have our developer account.

But please imagine: You order a thingamajig on a foreign website. They ask for your tax number. You don't have the right one because you live in a different country. You get a few mails that they escalate and reassign your case. After two weeks this stops. No replies, no mails, nothing.

After four weeks, boom, you have your thingamajig delivered.

Nov 22, 2013 8:16 AM in response to nalply

He isn't angry.

Have you looked at the contents of the Contact Us link at the bottom of every Apple web page?

If you had (instead of getting all indignant about how awful Apple treats hearing-impaired customers), you would have seen this:

"If you have a hearing or vision impairment, call877-204-3930 for direct access to Apple representatives who are trained in providing support using accessibility services."

That took all of 1 minute to find.

Nov 22, 2013 9:15 AM in response to nalply

nalply wrote:

etresoft, please stop being angry.

A sure-fire way to get one's thread deleted here in Apple Support Communities is to leave the technical discussions behind and start attacking people personally. I'm not one to report posts like that when directed at me. I prefer a more orthoganal engagement.

Do you know how essential phoning is today? Delivery people phone ahead to check if anybody is home. Many forms have phone numbers required. Customs try to phone me to find out what to do with the package. Apple tried to phone us. The CA tried to phone us.

Actually, no. I haven't had a single business-related phone call in two years at least. Nobody phones anymore. People send e-mails and the luddites still send faxes. Curiously, the vast majority of complaints from non-US developers trying to get business developer accounts stems from Apple's reliance of faxes for international business. They ask "Seriously Apple? Who has a fax machine anymore?" Why didn't you mention anything about a fax? This is the very first time I have heard of a phone call in this context.

But please imagine: You order a thingamajig on a foreign website. They ask for your tax number. You don't have the right one because you live in a different country. You get a few mails that they escalate and reassign your case. After two weeks this stops. No replies, no mails, nothing.

After four weeks, boom, you have your thingamajig delivered.

A developer account is a far cry from a "thingamajig" you order over the internet. It is a financial service where Apple pays you money. And yes. Taxes are involved. You don't live in a different country. Your product will be sold from the United States so you and Apple are responsible for complying with US and international trade, financial, and tax law. It gets complicated real fast. You are doing international business deals and those things simply take a long time.

And for the record, Apple's support number for people needing accessiblity services is:

1-877-204-3930

It works fine when I called it. Please use the correct number. When dealing with things like software development, taxes, money, and the law, details are important.

Nov 22, 2013 5:22 PM in response to nalply

nalpy --

A long time ago, my mother was very ill and in a wheelchair. I took her to stores and malls when she needed something and was still able to go. We couldn't find a parking spot near the entrances. All the "Wheelchair assessible" spots were taken, and mostly by perfectly abled people in a hurry. There were so many barriers to getting my mother where she needed to go, it was very frustrating.

No one can really understand what it's like living in a wheelchair, or being deaf, unless they, or someone really close is dealing with those situations.

Because of trying to help my mother, I will never again park in a handicapped zone, beause "I'll only be a minute."

I completely understand why you asked the question

etresoft, do you know a Deaf developer yourself?

I sincerely expect that Apple will address your needs with you and your partner ASAP. We're all just other Mac users volunteering here to help other Mac users. Or at least that's what we're suupposed to do.

All the best.

Deaf Company applying for Developer Program hitting a snag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.