Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the file ... couldn't be opened error (numbers, pages, keynote)

this just started happening today.

appears i can no longer open or save numbers / pages / keynote files. i get the following message:

User uploaded file

additionally, when i try to save a file, i get this message:

User uploaded file

wondering if anyone else is / has encountered this.

there are no updates available in the app store, and files open fine in icloud.

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 9:09 AM

28 replies

Mar 15, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Tony Carreon

Issue happened on my Notes: Error: Notestore.sqlite cannot be opened as it isn't in the correct format. But can open Exchange notes.

Apple - system Preferences -- iCloud uncheck Notes. -- Did not fix the issue.

Signout from iCloud- select "Keep a copy of data" in MAC when asked for an option.

Sign back into iCloud. Notes started to download again from iCloud .

Issue fixed.

Mar 15, 2017 10:55 AM in response to Tony Carreon

Issue happened on my Notes: Error: Notestore.sqlite cannot be opened as it isn't in the correct format. But can open Exchange notes.

Apple - system Preferences -- iCloud uncheck Notes. -- Did not fix the issue.

Signout from iCloud- select "Keep a copy of data" in MAC when asked for an option.

Sign back into iCloud. Notes started to download again from iCloud .

Issue fixed.

Apr 4, 2015 11:34 PM in response to Tony Carreon

This actually worked for me too, just note that "Documents & Data" is now called "iCloud Drive". Everything else stays as you described it. Thanks!

Message to Apple: it's a real shame that this problem still exists after a year and a half. It's not the Apple anymore that we used to know. And so you know, after seeing more and more glitches appearing in Mac OS I actually start to doubt my eventually upcoming purchases of my new phones and watches. Please try to come out of your marketing strategies once in a while and just make sure that the stuff you're creating is actually working. Back in the days that was the top priority.

Jun 14, 2015 9:39 AM in response to raimis11

I have just had this problem in the last few days. I created a new document but got an error message saying it couldn't be 'opened' when I tried to save it. After googling this problem the 'solution' was to search for the 'untitled' file, which had refused to save, in finder and to rename it. This appeared to work. The file saved and appears in my document folder. However I cannot open it as I am getting the same error message as everyone else here on ALL my saved documents. I have tried un checking icloud drive as above but no change. The file is viewable, sort of if, I go to finder-icloud drive-pages I can see a preview of it. It just won' open. Is there any definate solution for this yet?

Jul 13, 2015 4:47 PM in response to Tony Carreon

I have this exact same issue. The thing which "bites" for me is that I have a few MacBook Pro's which I need to keep on Mavericks because of a few applications which I use for the mainstay of my work. My iMac, however, is on Yosemite.

I use all systems in conjunction with one-another during my work day, it has to be this way. Some modeling stations, some rendering stations, and all tend to be my note-taking & document stations as I work on them, etc...

Now, I can't simply open documents, cross-system, even though they're all Apple OS's, sunless I go to my prefs & tick/un-tick that box, which will then invalidate ALL of my MacBooks from being able to access the files which I use on my iCloud.

What gives... Apple? Did my prediction come true, that the day Jobs died, the Apple started to rot?

Simple compatibility and you can't even do THAT for us? And worse, it's STILL a lingering issue from 2013?

UGH!

#ms-apple

Jan 18, 2016 6:35 AM in response to Tony Carreon

When I followed the advice to log out of iCloud and back in, it still gives me the same error "The file <fileName> couldn't be opened."

To be clear: I am running the latest OS version, I am attempting to open a file stored in iCloud by using the finder and double-clicking the file similar to how I would open a local file.

My end goal: I want to open a file in iCloud using my local Keynote program.

Anyone have advice?

==

Second post: I attempted to move the file to my local Mac by using finder to drag/drop and got this

User uploaded file

the file ... couldn't be opened error (numbers, pages, keynote)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.