Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix unavailable with (ATV-ui31) Error since 11/19/2013.

This is most annoying, as everything else on the ATV3, iTunes, PBS, Smithsonian Channel, iTunes Match, iTunes Radio, etc. All is working just fine. Netflix works, over the same home network, on our iPhones and iPads.

We contacted Netflix and were told first that it is our ISP

• We have Suddenlink and a 100mbs connection, and Netflix works from everything else. Including using Airplay to display NetFlix from a iPad. It was not the network connection.
  • Then we were told to power cycle the ATV for 3 mins. We did that, same problem.
  • Then we were told we would need to completely reset the ATV, which we did, albeit grudgingly. It is a pain to type in all the passwords again from the remote control, but even doing so did not fix the Netflix issue.

This is most likely related to the interface upgrades that NetFlix is pushing out. In the announcement they failed to mention Apple TVs were getting an upgrade, whcih is all reight with us, so long as it continues to work.

Has anyone else seen this situation happen recently, and if so, do you have a fix for it?

I have to admit, we really use Netflix and iTunes a lot, as we do not subscribe to cable TV, and this is putting a bit of a cramp in our routine.

Thanks

-Paul

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 10:18 AM

24 replies

Nov 20, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Paul Raulerson

I began having this problem on 11/19/13 as well prior to doing the Apple firmware update. I tried restarting both the AppleTV, router, unplugging both, completely resetting the system, adding the firmware. I tried some other things as well I found on the internet without any success. All other internet connected services through Apple TV and my other devices including Netflix work on other devices. I have not yet been able to find a solution. Netflix today said they will look into it.

Nov 20, 2013 6:49 PM in response to Paul Raulerson

Maybe more information might be helpful. This problem just started for me a few hours ago. Although I did just update my apple TV software -now at 6.0.2 (6646.81.1)- I don't believe that the problem is with the device or the update.

I happen to own 2 identical models of the atv and I updated both of them today. One is working and the other is not. This should prove that it's not my internet connection, routers, software/hardware etc. Netflix is working on all my computers, laptops, ipads except for the one atv. Even more, it was working on this atv earlier today. I did close the the Netflix app did some videos on Youtube and when coming back to Netflix, now getting the error ATV-ui31

I'm convinced that the Netflix app on the atv is being denied access by the Netflix servers. I have reset the atv settings back to factory, etc as suggested by all other postings found here and nothing works.

Since it was working fine earlier and the fact that I have a duplicate setup in the same environment working just fine and the failing one only fails on Netflix (all other apps are working), I think Netflix is to blame.

Nov 20, 2013 7:50 PM in response to FixMaestro

I am having the same issue exactly - Netflix works everywhere except on my ATV. I just chatted with Netflix and they are pointing the finger at Apple - saying that Apple changed their permissions to stop jail breaking (I'm not sure what that is) on their ATV's and now they are getting a lot of calls about this.

Hopefully they will stop pointing fingers at each other and FIX THE PROBLEM!!

Nov 20, 2013 7:57 PM in response to Paul Raulerson

I discovered this issue this morning. Nothing i did could fix it so I called netflix support. After some trouble shooting and a reset of my ATV the guy i was talking to said he needed to have someone else work on it and they would let me know. They called me back several hours later to let me know they managed to recreate and fix the problem but it came back again. Its something on their end and they told me it wasn't my apple tv (thank goodness!). They didn't have an eta for when it would be fixed but they are actively working on it. Also my ATV isn't jailbroken so I dont think that's the problem. Hope this helps!

Nov 21, 2013 6:24 AM in response to Paul Raulerson

Yes. I have this issue as well. Both Apple and Netflix are pointing a finger at the other. Very frustrating as everything else works including Hulu. They tried to blame it on my VPN but I have no problem getting just about everything including netflix on my computer. But no Netflix on Apple TV. Maybe the more people who call both Netflix an Apple (ask for a supervisor) and request that their technical departments work this out with one another perhaps maybe something will get done.

Netflix unavailable with (ATV-ui31) Error since 11/19/2013.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.