Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove the 90 day wait until I can use a new Apple ID on iTunes?

I recently bought a like new MacBook Pro Retina that only had 16 battery cycles. It was sold to the person I bought it from in March 2013. he sent me the original receipt from the Apple store also.I contacted Apple and they helped me set up a new Apple Admin. account under my name and password. I purchased the extended Applecare under my name for this computer. All is ok there. It is running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 OS and it allowed me to do iPhoto update today.

I authorized the computer under iTunes and next to it said 83 days before I could use my Apple ID? I unauthorized the computers on my iTunes account for the three under them to clear them off. I reauthorized the MacBook Pro and it seems ok on the MacBook Pro. I went on my Windows laptop and the MacBook Pro was there with the 83 days wait again. So I took it off. Do I have to wait 83 days to use my Apple ID on this computer? I backed up my two iPads on iTunes today and that was fine as it showed them under devices. I am confused.

Any help?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 1:22 PM

I ended up calling Apple and I had the previous owners apple email address and they deactivated the Apple ID from the computer. No more days counting down showing how long before the previous owners Apple ID went off it. Thank you for answer of "one time reprieve".

It makes me feel better that his Apple ID is no longer associated with this machine. I emailed him and told him if he ever resells another MacBook Pro to set back to factory settings so someone else didn't have this problem.

Do you think I am clear under my Apple account now that his is no longer associated to update to Maverick with no problem? If I ever have to go back to reset to factory would there be any problems? Would it reset to Mountain Lion ? It had one Mountain Lion update to 10.5.8 only. I did see Microsoft Office 2008 on it. I believe that would be lost as it must have been the previous owners as I didn't buy it.

Thanks.

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2013 1:22 PM in response to mksr

I ended up calling Apple and I had the previous owners apple email address and they deactivated the Apple ID from the computer. No more days counting down showing how long before the previous owners Apple ID went off it. Thank you for answer of "one time reprieve".

It makes me feel better that his Apple ID is no longer associated with this machine. I emailed him and told him if he ever resells another MacBook Pro to set back to factory settings so someone else didn't have this problem.

Do you think I am clear under my Apple account now that his is no longer associated to update to Maverick with no problem? If I ever have to go back to reset to factory would there be any problems? Would it reset to Mountain Lion ? It had one Mountain Lion update to 10.5.8 only. I did see Microsoft Office 2008 on it. I believe that would be lost as it must have been the previous owners as I didn't buy it.

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2014 12:53 AM in response to mksr

I don't understand the reason for this policy and think it *****. I have been using the same Apple ID for 10+ years, it's associated to my iPhone, MacBookPro, iPad and iPod. I spend a lot of money on Mac/Apple products, both hardware and digital.

In getting organized and consolidating our digital libraries, my partner and I decided to use my MacBook Pro for all iTunes/digital media and he downloaded his few purchases from UK iTunes using his AppleID and signed out. I am now unable to download from US iTunes for 90 days, despite a MUCH larger and older library, including newly posted episodes of a tv show's seasons pass. This is SO wrong, families should be able to use multiple Apple IDs on the same computer!!! #FAIL APPLE ID#

Mar 18, 2017 1:55 PM in response to Altia2017

Altia2017 wrote:

It seems to me that they are pushing you to rw-purchase what you had before.

It seems you are incorrect.

I have had my apple ID for many many years, I moved to another country, and now apple won't take my debit card from a different country, nor let's me use PayPal.

The payment option needs to have a billing address in the same country as the store you are using.

I used to be able to go back and forth to purchase on the same device.

Purchasing is no the issue. You can still go back and forth to purchase on the same device.

Now it is giving me this stupid 90 day warning if I want to download past purchases.

Correct. Redownloading past purchase sis not the same as making an initial purchase.

APPLE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS, THEN LET US USE PAYPAL FOR THE INTERNATIONALS!

There is no international purchasing in iTunes.

Per the iTunes store Terms & Conditions, "Services are available for your use in your country of residence (“Home Country”)."

-> http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html

Mar 18, 2017 6:11 AM in response to MorrisSoak

It seems to me that they are pushing you to rw-purchase what you had before.

I have had my apple ID for many many years, I moved to another country, and now apple won't take my debit card from a different country, nor let's me use PayPal. So I had to open a different account, but I still keep my US account as my main one. I used to be able to go back and forth to purchase on the same device. Now it is giving me this stupid 90 day warning if I want to download past purchases. THIS IS SOO WRONG, SO RIDICULOUS!

APPLE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS, THEN LET US USE PAYPAL FOR THE INTERNATIONALS! YOU ARE HURTING YOUR CLIENTS!

Apr 9, 2017 6:26 PM in response to Doball13

Doball13 wrote:

AM I then to understand that the device, which has to wait 90 days, will, at the end of the period be associated with my Apple ID?

No.

You will need to redownload something (meaning download something you have already purchased) to associate the 90 day limit to your account.

But if you want to make initial purchases, just make them now with whichever account you want.

Nov 9, 2017 9:02 PM in response to Jenkinst116

If the device is telling you that you have to wait XX number of days before you can:

Sign into Apple Music

Sign into iTunes Match

Turn on Automatic Downloads

Join a Family

Download Past Purchases

Then you are going to have to wait that XX number of days before you can do any of those things. You can sign into the device and use it, you also can make new purchases from the device. You can sync the device to the computer it has sync'd with previously (if you want to keep the content - if you don't, then you can sync with any computer running iTunes). You can play music, you can make phone and FaceTime calls, you can use email, you can back your device up to iTunes or to iCloud. You just can't do the thinks in the list above during that waiting period.

GB

Nov 20, 2013 12:21 PM in response to mksr

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID

When you turn on iTunes Match or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on an iOS device or computer, that device or computer becomes associated with your Apple ID. This article describes how to manage these associations.

Your Apple ID can have up to 10 devices and computers (combined) associated with it. Each computer must also be authorized using the same Apple ID. Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days. You can view which devices or computers are currently associated, remove unused devices or computers, and see how long before they can be associated with a different Apple ID from the Account Information page in iTunes on your computer:

Open iTunes.

Sign in to your Apple ID by choosing Store > Sign In from the iTunes menu.

Choose Store > View My Account from the iTunes menu.

From the Account Information screen, click Manage Devices.

Next to each device or computer name, you will be able to see when each was associated to your Apple ID. You will also be able to track how many days are remaining before your associated devices or computers can be associated to a different Apple ID.

Removing an associated device or computer from an Apple ID

To remove a device or computer from your Apple ID:

Open iTunes.

Sign in to your Apple ID by choosing Store > Sign In from the iTunes menu.

Choose Store > View My Account from the iTunes menu.

From the Account Information screen, click Manage Devices.

Click the Remove button next to the device name you would like to unassociate.

Note: Removing a device from your Apple ID does not override the 90 day timer. The timer must complete 90 days from the day the device was associated before it can be associated to another Apple ID.

Feb 4, 2014 7:08 AM in response to TwistedTory

So I started a new job and got macbook, iPad and iPhone. I started a new Apple ID just for work but then decided it was silly to try to manage two apple id's. I want to switch the three back to my original ID and if I need to add apps for work, i will just switch the billing info first.
I went to switch the apple ID and it gave me a 90 day warning. I dont want that hassle!!! I read above that someone mentioned something about resetting to factory above. If I reset the iPhone and iPad to factory and then start over with my original ID, will that get rid of this 90 day waiting period of ridiculousness?

Mar 14, 2014 6:41 PM in response to mksr

So let me get this right, if I want to sell a second hand iPhone that belongs to me I must return it to Factory Settings before sale so that it can be associated with a new iTunes account without the 90 day wait period.

I have both problems as I bought a new second hand iPhone and it is now counting down from 90 days as I associated it with my iTunes account. I take it this means I cannot load any purchases from iTunes store until the 90 days are up? The new iPhone has the previous owners iCloud music backup list still on it, I can download her music at the moment (I just tried one track) but I imagine it will dissapear after 90 days?

The whole thing seems unnecessary and confusing really and why is there no info out there about this? I looked at a number of web sites for preparation of an iPhone for resale and no one mentions returning the phone to Factory Settings.

Cheers, Rod

How can I remove the 90 day wait until I can use a new Apple ID on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.