Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a time or size limitation with "Dictation"?

I just discovered DICTATION this morning while I was reading a one-page introduction to Mavericks. I'm still learning how to use it properly, but I do have a problem that I don't understand. My problem is that DICTATION stops taking dictation after only two and a half or three lines. After that, those lines appear on my screen. Is that just the way DICTATION is set up, or is there something I can do to have my words captured until I hit the DONE button?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 1:00 PM

10 replies

Nov 21, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Niku

Niku asked.

This seems to be normal, from my experience. Dictation works by sending your text over the Internet to an Apple server where the conversion into text is made. The result is sent back to you by the Internet and displayed in the text area of your open document. There seems to be a limit to the amount of text you can continue to dictate before the system stops taking any more and immediately returns the text that you have recently dictated.

The answer is to dictate a sentence or two, then double-press the fn key, then carry on dictating when your recently dictated text appears, which it does within a second or so.

I find that Dictation works best when you speak more slowly than you would with a normal conversation and you need to enunciate each word clearly. For example, if you dictate the phrase "next person" by saying "nex person", you will not get the word "next".

It also works best with ordinary conversational sentences. It is not so good when dictating more complex business or technical passages. However, it can surprise. Try saying "thoo sidd-id-dees". It recognises the name of the ancient Greek philosopher Thucidides!

Nov 21, 2013 1:58 PM in response to SteveKir

What about with "Enhanced Dictation"? So far this morning, I have been unable to download the entire 785 MB file, but I'm going to try again when the Internet should not be so crowded. As far as the quality of what I have so far seen, I'm very, very impressed. If I can only get it to take dictation until I am finished, it will be near perfect. If I can't get that, well, I had already tried your technique. It works, but I'm hoping that "Enhanced Dictation" will give me what I really want.

Nov 22, 2013 1:51 PM in response to SteveKir

I'm looking forward to seeing what success you've had with downloading and installing Enhanced Dictation. I just had an Apple man call me to say that installig it woudn't fix the short dictation problem, On the other hand, I have seen several others here at Apple Support, and elsewhere, who said that iit worked for them. As for me, well, I've sort of given up. I moved my computer to two feet from my router, and I tried downloading in the middle of the night when you would expect Internet actiity to be less. It didn't nhelp. I was still unable to download Enhanced Dictation. However, if I learn that you have been successful and that it had enabled you to dictate until you were finished, I'lll have to try again. There is one thing I might try, but it costs about $30, and I won't try unless I am convinced that it will give me a very good chance of success.

Is there a time or size limitation with "Dictation"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.