Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Iphone 5 charger got burned during charging and phone wont turn on after it

Hi everyone. Last night My Iphone 5 charger got burned during charging and my iphone wont turn on after it...My Iphone was wery hot after it. My warranty expired on September and I can't go to Apple Store to resolve this problem. Pls advise... Thanks in advance.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 4:01 AM

30 replies

Nov 23, 2013 10:10 AM in response to Bandit7

It sounds to me like an accidental mismatch in voltage occurred, based on your description of how your iphone is failing to work and on how hot it became.. If this is the case, then either your voltage adapter failed or the iPhone charger failed, if it was a 110/220 volt charger. If this is the case your phone is fried. The one thing most guaranteed to ruin any device completely would be a voltage mismatch on the order of what you may be describing. If this happened then your entire internal charging circuitry plus your battery is completely burned out. You will have to replace your iPhone plus I strongly suggest replacing your adaptor plus your charger as well. Sorry...

Nov 23, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Bandit7

Since you have been charging the iPhone regularly, IF you were using an official Apple charger with a built in 110/220

voltage converter then you could try notifying apple directly, and send in both your phone and the charger. But if your were using a typical wall plug in voltage converter and an Apple 110 volt charger then Apple will not replace your iPhone. In which case as I wrote above, you will need a new phone, a new charger and a very high end voltage converter.

Nov 23, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Karas27

No. Sorry. But when such a large voltage mismatch occurs, it will destroy your entire IPhones internal charging and regulating system! Not just your battery. Every mobile "smart" device running at 5 volts internally has its own built in charging circuitry. The charging circuitry is inside your phone. It is NOT in your wall charger. Think of your wall charger simply as a "power source". The iPhone has the charging circuits built inside of it. The wall charger is just a "dumb" power source. The iPhone dictates how much power to draw and when to draw it, from the wall charger.

Like you may have a 30 amp electric line. If you plug in a small light bulb it doesn't use the whole 30 amps right?

So somehow one of your voltage adapters "failed" thereby burning out the phones entire circuitry. It is dead. Its not just an issue of the battery. Right?

Nov 23, 2013 10:22 AM in response to Karas27

As you purchased your iPhone in the US if you want any service you will have to return the iPhone etc to Apple in US .You cannot mail or courier in to Apple from outside US it must be hand carried in by you or some one in US a friend or relative ??

The reason we all advise against buying outside your own country .Warranty is NOT international

Foer the record the genuine Apple charger is rated 110-240v 50-60 hz

My Iphone 5 charger got burned during charging and phone wont turn on after it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.