Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor no signal until log-on screen

Hi

After my 2012 Macbook Pro's LCD became damaged, I had to connect an external monitor via HDMI.

The problem is there is no display signal before the Mac/Win7 login screen. My guess is the MBP sends signal to the native LCD and only after Mac/Win7 boots up it loads up drivers and recognizes the external HDMI monitor.

This essentially prevents me from re-installing Win7 because I can't see anything during the reboot and install process.

I connected to many monitors and HDMI TVs in the store and results are the same. I'm on 10.8.5

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 4:17 AM

9 replies

Nov 23, 2013 5:44 AM in response to ddoeu

Yes.

Apple restricts access to all system settings for Base system boot.

Not really.

They also restrict installing Windows from the Built In DVD drive on Mac computer that come with built in DVD drive. But yet allow the system to boot to an OS X installer on a USB thumb drive or externally connected DVD drive even when the system has a built in DVD drive.

Apple's way or no way.

ddoeu wrote:

Then, is this an issue people put up with?

I searched online and PC users have similar issue. But they can go into BIOS and set the display output to 'external'.

I hoped Macs were more sophisticated

Nov 23, 2013 6:29 AM in response to ddoeu

Have no idea why you posted those links. First one take me back to this thread. Second one take me to a post about a Boot Loader and is from back in July 2009, 4+ years ago.

The second one doesn't deal with accessing the Mac EFI system at all because you can't access it.

IIRC there isn't a User interface in the Mac UFI. Any changes made to it are done with a Firmware Upgrade issued by Apple. Other than that not even the most skilled Apple Tech support guys can access it. There is Nothing to Access.

Not sure why you are going through all of this. Just Bite the Bullet and spend the money to have the screen replaced. You will then have a real notebook computer again and not a small desktop.

Nov 23, 2013 6:57 AM in response to LowLuster

Ah correct link is:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_enter_the_BIOS_on_a_MacBook#slide1

I basically searched "Mac equivalent of BIOS".

It's a work computer I don't have yet the approval.

I wonder if a display port external monitor would fare any better.

All in all, I'm surprised no one has posted similar issues or made a fuss to Apple regarding this half-baked feature

Nov 23, 2013 7:14 AM in response to ddoeu

Well it doesn't work on my late 2011 model and I seriously doubt it works on any Mac that has a EFI.

Ther are many Half Baked features in Mac hardware and OS X, IMHO.

When you use a Mac you have to accept that Apple does not want the user to access most things except basic settings. Apple owns the hardware and the software and you are only granted the use of both with the dolloars you spend on Apple hardware. Same goes for all their devices.

External monitor no signal until log-on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.