Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud showing up twice in contacts

I have googled this topic and found that people have stated that they have seen this issue in the Notes application; however, I am seeing my iCloud account showing up twice in Contacts. My contacts are not being duplicated and if I mark either of the iCloud accounts as inactive then all of my contacts disappear. Can anybody tell me how to get rid of the duplicate iCloud account in Contacts? And I do not have 2 iCloud accounts showing up in accounts, just my 1 iCloud account...also, this is a fresh install of OSX Mavericks.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 9:27 AM

29 replies

Jan 9, 2014 11:45 AM in response to truwire

I am seeing this exaclty same thing. If I open up "Accounts" in Contacts, I see icloud listed twice one after the other. If I try to remove one of them, it says I need to go to Internet Accounts at which point, only one iCloud account is listed (as it should be). Looks like Contacts is duplicating the iCloud DB for somereason. Anyone have a fix for this yet?

Jan 11, 2014 10:16 AM in response to truwire

I have the same problem with a new iMac. I did copy my installed mavericks from my previous Mac but to be honest cannot remember whether I had duplicated icloud accounts on the old one.

I did notice my contacts were duplicated but frustratingly if I deleted a duplicate the other was deleted as well!

I have made one of the icloud accounts inactive and that seems to have solved the problem.

I have tried removing the icloud account entirely in settings and then activating it again as that was suggested as a solution in another thread - the duplicate icloud account reappeared in contacts.

My other applications (mail/notes etc) only show one icloud account - as does the main internet account settings section.

Jan 19, 2014 4:44 PM in response to truwire

I had very similar issue to what you seem to be describing. iCloud contacts groups were showing up twice on my computer. I solved this by opening up the accounts window and unchecked the sync iCloud contacts checkbox. I then hit delete contacts locally. One of the groups still remained when I did this, so I repeated the process. After all the iCloud contacts were gone, I rechecked the box and everything resynced and it seems that everything is now working as it should.

Apr 9, 2014 9:10 AM in response to R167

This should be marked as a solution. Worked for me.

R167 wrote:

I had very similar issue to what you seem to be describing. iCloud contacts groups were showing up twice on my computer. I solved this by opening up the accounts window and unchecked the sync iCloud contacts checkbox. I then hit delete contacts locally. One of the groups still remained when I did this, so I repeated the process. After all the iCloud contacts were gone, I rechecked the box and everything resynced and it seems that everything is now working as it should.

Apr 13, 2014 10:28 AM in response to R167

Seriously, should be a way to mark R167's answer as the solution seeing the OP has probably forgotten this thread.

Here was my scenario:

I use the ever-useful JABMenu which allows me to get a contact's info directly from the menubar. Since installing Mavs, all entries were duplicated making for a looooong list to scroll down.

Firing up Contacts I now had, in the left pane, iCould and my groups and On MY Mac and the same groups.

Above 'iCloud" there was All Contacts which, sure enough, had all my contacts in duplicate as it pooled the listing from iCoud and On My Mac.

Following R167's instruction the On My Mac entry disappeared leaving me with all contacts as single entries. 🙂

Apr 27, 2014 6:38 AM in response to R167

Thanks. Similar problem with Contacts - slight variation which others may have.

I had already disabled only one of iCloud accounts in the Contacts/Preferences (as opposed to Internet accounts) and on un-ticking the contacts options in System Pref Internet Accounts and choosing to delete left the disabled iCloud account in Contacts. However then enabled this account in Contacts (automatically re-enabled contacts again in System Pref Internet Accounts) and all was OK.

Have feeing this started after enabled Keychain. The laptop was already setup with iCloud account but later enabled KeyChain and once this was authorized from my main machine all the Internet Accounts appeared on laptop and then the second iCloud account appeared in Contacts.

Jun 15, 2014 8:01 AM in response to truwire

Same problem, slightly different solution.

- unchecked "Contacts" in the Preferences/Internet Accounts/iCloud settings

-> duplicate contacts disappeared

-> checkbox remained checked

- unchecked it a second time

-> all contacts were removed

- checked the box again

-> contacts returned

-> checkbox was off

- reopened the Preferences.app

-> checkbox now appears checked

In conclusion, it would probably have been enough to uncheck the checkbox once, to get rid of the dupes.

My theory as to how it happened, is that I checked the box twice when setting it up, because the checkbox does not appear checked until you relaunch the Settings.app, you actually can enable it twice.

iCloud showing up twice in contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.