Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dropped ipad and the screen and it won't turn on

I dropped my ipad and screen will not turn on.

iPhone 4

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 5:02 PM

Thank you. I have just done as you outlined and my iPad did come back to life. The glass has fine breaks and a smashed corner, but the OS works. I am so grateful. I realize how much I value my iPad, but the thought of having to be without if for a short time, was painful. I am impressed by the robustness of the hardware. So what I will buy now is a more durable case - and maybe for my iPhone as well......

Thanks for posting your solution.🙂🙂

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2014 5:02 PM in response to DynamiteDmoney

Thank you. I have just done as you outlined and my iPad did come back to life. The glass has fine breaks and a smashed corner, but the OS works. I am so grateful. I realize how much I value my iPad, but the thought of having to be without if for a short time, was painful. I am impressed by the robustness of the hardware. So what I will buy now is a more durable case - and maybe for my iPhone as well......

Thanks for posting your solution.🙂🙂

Mar 3, 2014 11:52 AM in response to DynamiteDmoney

I wanna thank you ever sooooooooooooooooooooooo much I was so angry with myself alllllllllllllllllllll day today because I dropped my new i-pad and there was no response not even a chirp. Then my daughter in law said she would google it ....well she did, and thanx to your ingenuity mine works great again. I appreciate that very much.Im sure when the grandkids get home from school today they will be equally as happy.

Nov 24, 2013 2:06 PM in response to zoeydogsmom

I dropped mine too last night! Couldnt believe it when the screen went dead and my iPad would not turn on! However when I plugged in the charger cable the iPad churpt and I cold tell it wasnt dead because it made the sound as if it were charging. Soooo, I searched online all night and I found a couple of solutions that actually worked and my iPad is working again! Yippee! I am am soo happy this worked for me! I hope the below tips will work for you! Did your screen crack?

First- connect your device to your charger cable and plug it in, listen for the "churp/connection" sound. If you hear the sound then its not dead it just sustained some impact from the drop. Fully charge your device(if needed).

Second- hold the screen lock and home button for 30-60 seconds to reset the iOS, you should see the Apple logo appear in the middle of the screen as if it were powering on. Give it a minute to load, if this does not happen repeat the steps a few times. Make sure you are holding the "screen lock" and "home button" at the same time.

This worked for me and Im up and running! If this doesnt work I've read that a few light taps on the back with the glass facing down on a soft surface like carpet may jar it back on. I did NOT have to try this because mine came back on after I did the reset. Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK! O:-)

Jul 16, 2014 7:40 AM in response to DynamiteDmoney

My iPad has just been dropped and a s black screen. Trying your solution but when it went on charge - silence. However, I know it's not dead as after the drop I plugged it into PC and could see and view all the photos stored on the iPad.

So just waiting for the charge to complete before trying the buttons trick and the tapping.- hopefully it will work for me as well as it has worked for everyone else

Apr 15, 2017 1:49 AM in response to zoeydogsmom

Hi, my ipad was dropped (from about 3 feet!!) and I had no picture. I read on this site about slapping the back of the ipad, which I did, and surprise surprise, the picture (pink(ish)) and functionality returned. The colour of screen was still distorted and despite another couple of slaps, which changes the colour from now blue to white, albeit the images are still a bit distorted. Any more advise would be useful.

dropped ipad and the screen and it won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.