Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with icloud tabs between two ipads.

I'm having trouble with icloud tabs syncing between two ipads.

I restored my new air from a backup of my old mini, because I wanted the same apps and information shared between the two devices.

However, I believe doing so causes problems sharing safari tabs across both ipads and my iphone.

Now, only my iphone tabs can be seen from all the devices, whereas neither tabs from my air or mini can be seen by any device.

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 7:20 AM

26 replies

Feb 8, 2014 6:25 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi! I'm having the same problem. I got an iPad 3, an iPad Air and an iPhone 5S.

The iPad Air was set up using a backup from the older iPad 3.

The iCloud tabs work ok when published from the iPhone to the iPads, but the iPads are not able to correctly publish to the iPhone or to each other.

I am able to see iCloud tabs from only one iPad at a time on the iPhone.

It seems that the iPad that has the most recent changes (and sync) will win and wipe the iCloud tabs published by the other iPad.

Could it be that there is a unit identifier that was duplicated during the backup and that this makes the iCloud think that the two iPads are the same?

This surely must be a bug?

Feb 14, 2014 1:20 PM in response to iampro

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as I used my iPhone 5 backup when originally setting up my iPad 4. I have a total of three devices:

1. MacBook Pro

2. iPhone 5

3. iPad 4

When using iCloud tabs I can only see my MacBook Pro's open safari tabs across all three devices.

I have logged in and out of iCloud, reset network settings and restarted across both iOS devices to no avail.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Mar 15, 2014 10:12 AM in response to oli_chambers

I just upgraded all my devices to IOS version 7.1 but it didn't fix the problem.
AppleCare originally told me that they usually come back with a response within a couple of days - but I haven't heard from them since then. So I contacted them again and they confirmed that my case is still open.
I guess it will take some time for this bug report to go through their system. Hopefully they will have a fix for it on a not too distant release.

I will post again here when I know more.

Apr 12, 2014 5:07 AM in response to SteffenSH

I have been plagued by this bug since the day I got my iPad Mini Ratina and set it up by restoring from my iPad air backup.

Except Safari iCloud tabs problem as reported by the original poster, iBooks also failed to sync bookmarks between air and mini.

You read the same book on air and mini. After you read up to a page on Air, close it and take a sleep. On the next day moring, open the same book on Mini iBook, you will be brought to the same page the last time you read on Mini, not the page you last read on Air.

Apr 19, 2014 6:10 AM in response to Monte Lin

Add me to the list having this issue. It started with icloud tabs but now I'm noticing iTunes doesn't like the two iPads and is dropping them from the list of devices... so I can't throw movies or files to the devices via iTunes over wifi - I have to physically plug them in.

Not sure if this is related to the other issue or a recent update of iTunes but I suspect its somehow related.

What happens when a large company images iPads... do they all get seen as the same iPad and have conflicts like this too?

Its similar to the old imaging of PCs and needing to generate separate SIDs.

Jun 2, 2014 2:26 AM in response to iampro

+1. Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad mini all on the same iCloud account. iCloud tabs will show both Macs and my iPhone on whichever device I want. But the two iPads won't report Safari tabs to any other device nor between themselves. And I also set up both iPads using the same backup but I fail to see why there would be an issue of "duplicate identifier". Such information is unique to the device not the backup.

Any one who resolves this please post up. Maybe iOS 8, no doubt beta'd later today, will offer some hope.

Jun 2, 2014 2:11 PM in response to iampro

The case number that I have with AppleCare on this issue is still open.

Last time I talked with them they were in communication with the engineering team to get the bug fixed.

I was also given a new senior advisor contact person on my case.

This is not impressive though. I spent a number of hours on the phone with them back in February. AppleCare is not updating me on what’s happening.
I will try to contact them again now.
I will keep you all updated here on how this progresses.

Trouble with icloud tabs between two ipads.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.