Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto doesn't work after Mavericks "update"

I updated to Mavericks Iphoto and now it doesn't populate any of my photos, videos, or events from before the update. It asks me to find a library on my computer.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 5:42 AM

16 replies

Nov 26, 2013 1:31 PM in response to Old Toad

The default library doesn't exist anymore, so I can't restore it, even with iphoto library manager. Iphoto doesn't even recognize the photos on my computer anymore. Carbonite will be of no help at addressing the broken app. And I can't revert to mountain lion, which functioned perfectly, because the updated os bundled multiple updates.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make mavericks iphoto function properly, short of wiping the whole computer and reinstalling everything? This is a nuisance.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Subaru99

As you've noted it sounds like there's no libary on your hard drive.

However, download and use Find Any File to search for "Library6.iPhoto". That's a file that exists in all iPhoto Libraries.

If your library is hiding somewhere on your hard drive FAF will find it. FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.

It you can't find your previous library you'll need to start over with a new library and import what photos you have into it.

Nov 26, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Subaru99

I suggest you implement a backup stragety that involves an external HD for your iPhoto Library and other files. Without a local, correctly formatted backup you're bound to repeat this loss again at some time.

As nearly all update/upgrade instructions say to backup your hard drive before proceeding it would be a prudent avenue to take.

iPhoto doesn't work after Mavericks "update"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.