Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two-finger scroll not working on MacBook Pro

Any idea why I am unable to scroll up and down in Safari and in other applications using the laptop's trackpad? I have to move the pointer on top of a scroll bar, click and hold with one finger, then scroll with another finger. Looking to scroll pages without dragging the scroll bar.

I have already checked the Trackpad settings in System Preferences.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 4:54 PM

49 replies

Jan 1, 2017 2:04 PM in response to nashville1012

Nashville 1012, Thanks for this tip! This worked for me on my Touch bar MacBook Pro 2016 on day one after restoring a time machine backup of a 2008 iMac. The Terminal "defaults ..." above didn't do anything. Oddly enough my wife account that was also restored didn't have this issue. Since this fix was within my home folder / library, it sounds like ours was a specific account preference issues versus global preferences.

Nov 29, 2013 12:45 PM in response to sanjampet

Neither of those solve the problem. It's as simple as it will just stop for a day, or a few hours. The trackpad is still perfectly receptive, it just ceases to have the capacity to recognize the two-finger slide.

Dec 7, 2013 8:35 PM in response to Cleveland

I keep having this same problem as well in any of the browser windows. I can move my mouse around with one finger and I can swipe to dashboard using three fingers, but I cannot use two fingers for any scrolling or going back. If I quit the browser completely, or restart the entire laptop, it will work for a small, random amount of time. It is not happening in any other applications I have open...just the browsers.

Dec 7, 2013 11:26 PM in response to Cleveland

I have the exact same issue with my 15" rMBP. With Chrome and Safari at random times the 2 finger scrolling will not work.

@tjk It's not that the trackpad senses my two fingers as one, it just doesn't respond to the 2 finger scroll at all. I can use all the other mulit finger gestures with no issue when this happens.

Restarting the browser fixes it for a small period of time but it happens again.

Dec 7, 2013 11:37 PM in response to MChuong

MChuong wrote:

I have the exact same issue with my 15" rMBP. With Chrome and Safari at random times the 2 finger scrolling will not work.

@tjk It's not that the trackpad senses my two fingers as one, it just doesn't respond to the 2 finger scroll at all. I can use all the other mulit finger gestures with no issue when this happens.

Restarting the browser fixes it for a small period of time but it happens again.

Thanks for getting us back on track. 😉 Beyond Sanjampet's links and my post, I have only one other thought, which is that it's an OS and/or trackpad compatibility issue. It's good you list your machine and the browser, but it would be better if everyone listed the OS they're running and the version of the apps in which they're experiencing the issue. In that way, it can help narrow things down to a specific OS, machine, or app. Also, please report the issue to Apple Feedback: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Dec 8, 2013 6:36 AM in response to Cleveland

I recently upgraded to OS 10.9. When I did that I noticed that the scroll arrows were removed from the scroll bar. When that happened I needed to find a new way to scroll as I didn't like just grabbing the scroll bar up and down. I never used the 2 finger scroll prior to the upgrade so I don't know if it ever worked in the old operating system (10.6.8). All the other gestures seem to work, the two finger click works to use the RIGHT-CLICK function, the only thing that doesn't work is the two finger scroll up and down.

I've checked setting, I've reinstalled OS 10.9, I've troubleshooted for hours and can't get it to work.

I using the following:

MacBook 13-inch, Mid 2010

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Software OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? Any help on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 27, 2014 9:53 PM in response to jacksondc

This is a bug and it's caused when you swipe between pages with two fingers.

How to fix:

1. Quit Chrome.
  2. Open System Prefences.
  3. Choose View > Trackpad, or click Trackpad.
  4. Click the More Gestures tab.
  5. Disable "Swipe between pages".
  6. Restart Chrome.

Additional Information

If you own an Apple Magic Mouse, I would also disable the same gesture within the Mouse preferences pane.

Feb 25, 2014 5:43 AM in response to Cleveland

If anyone has this issue with an extral Apple trackpad (maybe you're using a laptop docked to a monitor), I have found that disconnecting the trackpad from the laptops bluetooth connection restores vertical scrolling. But it's a recurring problem that Apple needs to fix.

Bluetooth/disconnect trackpad/press trackpad button on the side to restore.

Other solutions have also worked but again, they are temporary fixes but thank you to all that have offered some help.

Two-finger scroll not working on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.