Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop auto-archive in Mail

Some of my emails go to Archive folder automatically without chance of being read. Archive appears to be a local (on-my-mac) folder which removes the emails from IMAP. We are 3 people using one IMAP account (support email), moving emails to a local archive folder on my Mac prevents other two co-workers to have access to all emails received. How do I dissable Archive in Mail completely? Thanks.

OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mail app with 10.9.1 update

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 1:25 PM

I do not have a rule created to move messages to Archive folder. I also did not create the Archive folder itself, though it is full of messages (new and old). I've seen other people asking about how to turn off Archive feature in Mail on other forums as well.

77 replies

Apr 25, 2017 10:27 AM in response to Melinda S.

Just followed these steps, and it seems that it has indeed helped. Thanks!

One problem that I found right away, though: when I chose to delete a Gmail message in Mail, I got an error that indicated "Trash" folder didn't exist on the server. . . . Hmmm . . . Well, that makes sense in light of this thread, right? . . .

So I went to the Preferences > Accounts > selected Gmail > Mailbox Behaviors and unchecked the box by "Store deleted messages on the server." . . .

Thereafter, I was able to delete Gmail messages.

So far, so good!

Many thanks.

Dec 5, 2013 10:05 AM in response to Raymond Russell

Same problem here too. Maybe it happened with last update, did not seem to happen before. Also, all my online mail boxes have this going on...

message -> move to -> archive -> online name (all mail)

with these exceptions. My msn and yahoo accounts do not show at all and my 'on my mac' shows twice, once at the top and once at the bottom. I think all 3 of these are pop3 accounts, if that makes a difference....

Another weird thing is my msn account does not not show in the dropdown of 'move to' or 'copy to'

Dec 27, 2013 8:12 PM in response to Gr8Timur

I am having the same problem.

I have several accounts in (Apple) Mail 7.1 in Maverick -

None of the pop server or exchange accounts have an "Archive" folder but

both of my imap server accounts (gmail) DO!

All of my gmail is archived ...

User uploaded file

It got my attention because it's consuming a significant amount of disk space.

where's the control for these 'archives' ??

How to stop auto-archive in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.