Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone just died..won't charge or turn on...it's only a yr old iPhone 5

My iPhone 5 died.. Won't charge and won't turn on.. It's only a yr old...any ideas what happened..

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 12:09 PM

27 replies

Aug 24, 2017 3:00 PM in response to Briansyddall

Nooooo. I did all of the above and did not work. So went to see Apple, they tested and said cannot fix the phone as it is dead. Since it is out of warranty, 4 months, I need to pay for the replacement-400$. No thanks. It is ridiculous to have to pay for an iphone that died with no cause and pay for another one. This phone is only 16 months old.

Jun 26, 2017 12:23 AM in response to Rapha el123

Hello sir, your advice was very helpful. Recently, my Iphone 5s shut down because of battery drainage, then it was hot. I tried to put it in front of an electric fan to make it a bit cooler. Then I saw this wall on Google, so I tried your advice. In less than ten seconds, it worked, and currently I charge it. Thank you sir!!!! Have a nice day ahead.

Aug 24, 2017 3:29 PM in response to CJAYYY1

Brought it back to Apple. They said it is dead. Their service people looked at it. They offer me two choices: send to Apple for repairs. Cost 457$. Or They can sell me a replacement model for 400$.

How did it happen. I was at the airport (LAX), the phone said 9% battery, then blacked out. I plugged the charger in. At first the Apple Logo came on and stayed on for about an hour or so. Nothing changed. Cannot move the screen. Then after pressing home and on/off button, it went completely black. There was no water damage, sudden change of temperature, no environmental or accidental issues. It just died.

The phone is 16 months old. I am still tied to the carrier for another year or so on contract, still paying for this **** phone. This is unacceptable. I have heard of design obselence, but this is ridiculous. The bigger Apple gets, the more obnoxious they become and more dependent we are going to be. They should not sell a phone that requires the customer to purchase warranty or extended warranty for that matter. As a product, it should provide a minimum level of warranty, at least if they are going to partner with telephone carriers for 2-3 years. At the minimum, the phone should last that long.

This is absolutely a farce. This just makes me convert to an android user.

Dec 10, 2013 1:26 PM in response to Anna Maria1606

Has it suffered any water damage? - beware that Apple can tell if it has sufferd water damage.

Anyway,

try resetting the iPhone but pressing the Home and Sleep button at the same time for about 15 seconds or so. Release the buttons if you see the Apple logo come on the screen. The iPhone will then reboot and all should be well.

If no Apple logo after about 30 seconds, I am afraid that it is probably a more serious problem and needs to be taken back to Apple for them to have a look at.

Dec 10, 2013 1:26 PM in response to Anna Maria1606

Hard Reset

Press and hold BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

if no result try

recovery mode

open itunes on computer

plug cable into computer not iOS device

turn device off

hold home button and plug cable into IOS device. do not release home button until an itunes graphic appears on IOS device.

look to computer should have message about recovery mode click ok and restore

Peace, Clyde

if u need an article see

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Dec 10, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Rapha el123

I agree with Rapha el123. But you might try holding the buttons down for more than 30 seconds. My wife's iphone 4S did the same thing and I had to hold the buttons down for nearly 2 minutes before it would restart. After that it was fine.

Also if the battery is really dead, I mean down to zero power, it may need to sit on the charger for up to 15 minutes before it has enough power to turn on the screen.

Apr 19, 2014 6:03 PM in response to Anna Maria1606

I am having the same problem with my 2 month old iPhone 5s. I have tried holding both buttons for up to 2 minutes both plugged in and un-plugged with no results, other than dead iphone - no charger icon.

I have tried the other method with plugging the iphone in whle holding the home button, the problem with this is that I dont think it fully detects the cable in the first place. When I plug it into any power source it will keep showing the icon that represents no charger and no battery.

If anyone could help me I would be Eternally grateful!

Thanks

My phone just died..won't charge or turn on...it's only a yr old iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.