Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio across slides in Keynote '13

I want to play audio across 5 slides in a presentation. The old way with older versions of Keynote won't work because there is no longer the hyperlink feature. I'm using Mavericks and Keynote '13. Anyone know how to do it in the latest version of Keynote? I'm working on an iMac right now with Mavericks. The discussions addressing this issue seem to all be a couple years old or more.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 21.5" late 2013

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 11:11 AM

21 replies

Dec 12, 2013 12:56 AM in response to revpbj

I want to play audio across 5 slides in a presentation.

Keynote 13 works in the same way as the previous version, sound does not play across multiple slides.

The work around is to place all content on to one slide and use builds to progresses through the images while the sound plays. Match the total duration of the images to the duration of the sound file.

The old way with older versions of Keynote won't work because there is no longer the hyperlink feature.

Hyperlinks work fine in both versions, but fail to understand how this would help you.

Dec 13, 2013 7:04 AM in response to Gary Scotland

In Keynote '09 you can play music across slides by hyperlinking to the presentation in which the soundtrack is embedded. In Keynote 13, there is the link capability but it will not link to another Keynote presentation. Using builds, recording and matching timing is too labor intensive when one has music in presentations almost every week. (i.e. church). Powerpoint makes it very easy to accomplish music across slides. I like Keynote for the multi-divice capability but unless I'm missing something, it really messed up with the latest version. Keynote 13 really doesn't work "the same way as the previous version" but thanks very much for your input. I might have to mess around with builds and images like you suggest and see if I can figure that out without making it all choppy and having to take more time than is reasonable to do it.

Dec 13, 2013 2:29 PM in response to revpbj

revpbj wrote:

In Keynote '09 you can play music across slides by hyperlinking to the presentation in which the soundtrack is embedded.

You did not say you were actually talking about Soundtrack, rather than using a single sound file. This is an entirely different procedure which is to create audio for the whole presentation. The problem with doing this is that Soundtrack is not linked to any element placed on the slide, especially for longer presentations and can only play from the start of a presentation.

Linking from one presentation to another using hyperlinks is unfortunately very clumsy in Keynote causing pausing and displaying the Keynote interface befor playing.

Keynote 13 really doesn't work "the same way as the previous version" but thanks very much for your input.

This is inot correct, all previous versions of Keynote are unable to play a single sound file over multiple slides, if you think it can, why are you not using this for your project? It certainly would be a very useful feature to have if this was available.

I might have to mess around with builds and images like you suggest and see if I can figure that out without making it all choppy and having to take more time than is reasonable to do it.

Builds are a very reliable and accurate way to play both sound and images in time to each other, especially as there is no sync system built into Keynote to lock images and sound together. Once build order and durations are understood it is quick and simple to use.

Dec 13, 2013 2:55 PM in response to Gary Scotland

This is inot correct, all previous versions of Keynote are unable to play a single sound file over multiple slides, if you think it can, why are you not using this for your project? It certainly would be a very useful feature to have if this was available.

I was not referring to what Keynote can or cannot play - I was referring to the fact that '09 will allow hyperlinks to other Keynote presentations. 13 will not.

I've talked to Apple Engineer and he agreed doing the builds on a single image would be laborious. I might play around with it when I have more time. You're clearly more proficient in Keynote than I. Thanks for your input.

May 7, 2014 9:16 PM in response to Walter Moore

Hi Walter - thanks for the suggestion. I have actually figured out how to play audio in my presentation by using builds. Not exactly as Gary Scotland suggestioned - but using builds nonetheless. In case anyone else needs to do this, I'm going to go through it here. You first add your audio file to the slide you will be working in. Then, in my case, I add the text for the first verse of the song, animate it as "build in" #2 (audio is #1 in the build order), then apply a "build out" to the same text box and that becomes build order #3. You continue this process actually "piling" text boxes (in my case) on top of one another. Then I go to the build order and attach each build in to the previous build out so that there is a continuous transition from one build to the next. So far I have done up to 17 builds this way and it works perfectly as long as you are careful to make sure the build order is correct. That's easy enough to do by rehearsing the "play" when you are putting the presentation together. There is no need for timing each build in my case because each build is transitioned with a "click" by the Keynote operator (on the ipad). The slide looks messy because text boxes are piled on top of each other. I use an extra slide to type the text I need and then copy and paste it to the slide I'm building in, then just delete the extra slide when I'm done. For the environment I have - needing to play music and have words projected on the screen, it works very well once you figure out how to do it. Like Gary said, once build orders are understood (that takes a bit of doing!) then it works very well. In my case, I don't need to worry about durations. Hope someone gets some help from this if they are trying to do what I needed to do with music and lyrics!

Feb 9, 2015 10:03 AM in response to GUYPRESS

this works for each version of keynote. Hope it helps! 😉

No it does not help at all as you do not understand the question which was:

I want to play audio across 5 slides in a presentation

Placing a sound file in the Audio Well will play from the First Slide and play continuously, this is not what is wanted.

The answer to the original post was to use Builds.

Feb 9, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Apologies I thought it was just get them to play across all slides as I saw this was a question earlier in this discussion - never mind Gary no harm done - regardless.

Yes fine with using Builds for picking audio only across 5 slides - although an export to quicktime and either add audio in fcp, imovie, premier + are other possible alternatives depending on what you are after and how simple you want things.

May 9, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Rsibs

Because the slides move by themselves and the music continues to play..........

That does not work, the original poster wants this:

I want to play audio across 5 slides in a presentation.

consider an 8 slide presentation where the music is to only play over slide 3 to slide 7:

so whether a self playing presentation or a normal presentation is set in the document inspector;

the music will cut out on slide 2 if the music is placed on the first slide

the music will cut out on slide 6 if the music is placed on slide 5

the music will play from slide 1 and will only stop after the last slide is shown if the music is placed in the soundtrack box

Therefore none of this resolves the original query.

The only way to have music playing only over 5 of the slides in a presentation is to place the music file and the to accompany the music onto a single slide and use builds to animate the objects.

audio across slides in Keynote '13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.