Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whats best way to import mpg in to iPhoto

i can open the files in quicktime but i want to import in to iphoto so that i can organise with the rest of my events. I've also tried converting to mov but for some reason the file quality is made significantly worse during conversion (i've tried both smart converter and also flv crunch). Any ideas? thanks vm

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:11 PM

Is the problem, that iPhoto does not import the videos or does it not play them?

If iPhoto imports them, but does not play them, install Perian: Perian and Quicktime 7.

Using AVCHD video with iPhoto '11

22 replies

Dec 15, 2013 4:40 AM in response to léonie

when i drag the files in to iphoto it normally adds them to my library. When i try and drag in mpg files it says mpg files are not valid and it doesn't work. i have an imac with osx 10.9. it came with iphoto 9.5.1 which is the latest version i believe. the error message when i try to drag in says that the files are unreadable. I can click on them and they open in quicktime to view. BUT, i want to get all my videos in to my iphoto library and categorize by events.

Dec 15, 2013 4:51 AM in response to rogoryan

What is the codec, that your camera is using? Not all codecs and sizes are supported, even if the videos will play in QuickTime.

If the codec is AVCHD, see the link I posted above: Using AVCHD video with iPhoto '11

And for ther codecs, see this list of supported sizes: About Video and Audio formats

(This list is for Aperture, but since iPhoto and Aperture share the same libraries, it should apply to iPhoto as well; also, more formats might be supported - the list is not exhaustive).

Dec 15, 2013 5:15 AM in response to rogoryan

"Codec" is the format, how the video in your video is encoded. There are many ways to do this, and not all are supported by iPhoto.

For quicktime movies and mp4 movies the codec is shown in QuickTime Player, if you use the command "Show Inspector":

User uploaded file

Or, you can see it in the Finder's info panel, when you select the video clip in the Finder and use the command "File > Get Info ⌘I".

User uploaded file

Léonie

Dec 15, 2013 11:53 AM in response to rogoryan

That is indeed a format that is not supported in iPhoto. I assume, the videos have been taken with a video camera and not a photo camera? I'm not sure about the actual codec inside the Mpeg-2 - that format is also just a container for streaming media, just like Quicktime.

You have to convert these videos, but I doubt, that iMovie will be able to import them. When you use your converters - with smart converter, try to convert the videos to exactly the same dimensions they are currently having, and pick a high quality setting. In Smart Converter the best option to preserve a high quality will be converssion to QuickTime, but you said, that this already is reducing the quality of your movies noticibly.

I'll try to see, if I can find a video expert to help.

Dec 24, 2013 7:20 AM in response to léonie

yes i can thanks. problem is that the app won't install properly! it says 2 apps are needed, mpeg streamclip and then also the mpeg2 playback compoenent. the second one is a nightmare to install, says i need to click on some kind of quicktime dmg file but i don't know what that is and can't find it anywhere.

This is such a nightmare just to get some file types converted!!!! Argh!!!!!

whats best way to import mpg in to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.