Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" late 2013 - "flickering probs"

Hi there,

I have a little problem with my new MBP Retina Display late 2013, 15" version. Since today, it decided to have kind of flickerings when I scroll the pages on the web and when I pass from a desktop to another one. The problem also occurs when I enter Mission Control, where the animation is slow and jerky, the same as it is when I pass from a desktop to another.

I don't think it a monitor problem: it works wonderfully! Is it possible it's a problem with the drivers?

Hope to receiving some advices soon,

thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 4:09 PM

32 replies

Dec 15, 2013 4:52 PM in response to JacopoFamularo

JacopoFamularo wrote:

Hi there,

I have a little problem with my new MBP Retina Display late 2013, 15"

I would take back and exchange if you are within the 14 day return period.

If not ASAP I would have it looked at sounds like GPU hardware:

Genius reservation http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

on-line https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

check warranty https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Dec 16, 2013 11:08 PM in response to Jac0bz

Hi Jac0bz,

Wow, so they took back your mbp instead of reparing it? It still soud strange that you are suffering by the same problem on a new computer...

It's probably a software problem then.. Which is actually a good news, isn't it?

I'll call Apple today in the late afternoon and I'll see what they say about that

I'll keep you guys up to pust if I have some good news

Thanks again

Dec 17, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Jac0bz

Hi there,

good news here: I just called Apple Support and the guy helped wonderfully!

What you gotta essencially do is: open the finder and then, from the menu bar, click on Go and Computer. In the window that pops up choose the column view and click on Macintosh HD, Library. In this folder you have to move to the trash the content of the following folders:

• Caches;
  • LaunchAgents;
  • LaunchDaemons;
  • StartupItems.

Before acting the deleting be sure to copy the last three folders on the desktop, in a way to save a copy of their files.

You have to move another element to the trash and it's something called like com.apple.windowserver.plist and you can find this one guy in the Preferences folder (always in the Library one).

Once done, DO NOT EMPTY THE BIN but close the Finder and go on the menu bar again and click on Go; while pressing the Alt/Option button, click on the Library voice (which is hidden and will appear only by pressing Alt). When opened, you have to do something similar to the other time; so

• Look for Caches folder and move the content to the bin;
  • Look for the Internet Plug-ins folder and do the same;
  • Again for the LaunchAgents folder (you don't need to save a backup of the files this one time);
  • Move on to Preferences and look if the com.apple.windowserver.plist is present. If not, go back to the Library folder;
  • Last, choose the Saved Application State folder and move the content to the bin.

Ok, now again DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH but restart the computer. You should now have everything working as it was when you got the Mac.

Unfortunately I don't know if this will work for you and I don't wanna assume any responsibility for problems but it worked for me and my MBP is now superfast again.

Hope your one will be ok again and this post will help the others who could encounter the same issues 🙂

Dec 27, 2013 1:46 PM in response to JacopoFamularo

I bought a new MBP 15 w/retina (2.3 GHz i7, 16gb ram, 2 gb video, 512 sshd) yesterday and was having the exact same issue as the op. My flickering was so bad (and seemed to be getting worse) when scrolling that I was about to pack up the machine and return it today. Since I had set up the machine and loaded software already I thought I would try JacopoFamularo's fix and my machine is fine now...Thank you very much!!!

My only concern now is all the files I moved to the trash. Are any of them required and can I empty the trash now?

MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" late 2013 - "flickering probs"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.