Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change the number of instances in 4.1

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 27" 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7-SSD-2 GB HD

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 3:45 AM

59 replies

Dec 19, 2013 9:41 AM in response to David M Brewer

Uninstalled both C4.1 – and then 3.5 (with its version of Qmaster) in case C4.1 was getting confused by them.

Reinstalled 4.1 and the good news is I can submit. The bad news is that in the Advanced pane I still cannot activate #instances.

enable additional Compressor Instances.

Russ

Message was edited by: Russ H Clarification of advanced pane reference.

Dec 19, 2013 2:25 PM in response to David M Brewer

Looks like the number of CPU cores is at least one determinant of this. In our lab, on an old MacMini with an i5, there are 4 cores, and the checkbox is grayed out. On a newer Mac Mini with an i7 and on my Mac Pro tower, I can enable additional instances.

On the i7 Mac Mini, I can enable one additional instance. It has 8 cores, 4 cores with hyper threading. On an older Mac Pro (2010), I can enable 5 additional instances. The Mac Pro has 2 x 6 core Xenons, so 24 cores (12 with hyper threading). So it seems you need more than 4 cores to enable this checkbox, and the more cores you have the more instances you can enable.

Dec 19, 2013 9:32 PM in response to James Cude

I can enable instances on my quad core macpro- but then when I submit the batch, all I get is waiting..waiting...waiting- and no encoding.

BTW, as an experiment I submitted the same 7 minute HDV movie to both Compressor 3.5.x (with clusters enabled) and to 4.1 (no instances, clusters etc.) Encode time (with same encoding parameters) for 3.5.x was 13 minutes. to the new improved 4.1: 32minutes.

I am so frustrated with Compressor 4, 4.07, 4.1, 4. any flavor I could scream!

Dec 19, 2013 9:46 PM in response to Steven Cohen

Steven:

4.1 is flaky right now, I've sent feedback to apple.

My problem is that 4.1 is not actually creating more than one instance when I submit a job to the batch even though I have 3 instances selected in the prefences pane for additional instances.

What is even more strange is that when I connect another mac to add ditribution it will do 4 instances at a time with 10 segments.

It it took fovever to figure out how the two computer would share over ethernet without flaking out at some point.

Dec 20, 2013 3:21 AM in response to David M Brewer

That's really interesting. On my Macbook Pro running 4.0.7 in the package contents I have a folder that says embedded apps which contains Apple Qmaster and Apple Qadministrator- but none of the other stuff that you show in your screen shot. I wonder if this is why I could never get clusters to work? What would happen if you copied your embedded apps folder to the package contents of the new compressor 4.1?

Can't change the number of instances in 4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.