Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't right click on my desktop. Files/Folders are also disappeared

The subject explains pretty much the situation.

The last days, I can't right click on my dekstop. Right click works on any other icon/app etc of course. At the same time, files/folders that I have in desktop, and I can see them through finder, are not displayed. However, if I login with the guest account, the problem is not reproduced.

Any ideas?

(I have a new macbook pro 13 retina display, running 10.9.1)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 5:54 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 12:07 PM in response to al3xandros

I've seen a few solutions with a google search, it depends on the setup. In this thread.. while it didn't provide any concrete action to take for the fix ... it did provide direction and clues. I too have PathFinder application, and I too had this problem where it was only within the Desktop folder the problem surfaces.

After the series of steps below were complete, right clicking came back.

In Finder:

1) Click on Desktop, *verify* that the Top Menu is actually OS X's Finders.

Go to "Finders Preferences", select "General" tab

Change "New Finder windows open in:" to something other that the User Home directory (I chose /User/Shared)

In Path Finder Preferences:

1) [General] Preference tab de-select following options

- Launch Path Finder at login

- Show menu bar icon

- Set as default browser

2) [Browser] tab

- Set "Starting Directory:" path to something other than you user Home directory (again I manually selected /User/Shared)

3) [Finder] tab, De-select

- Hide Finders's Desktop

- Quit Finder when Path Finder launches

Of the above, I don't know which particular edit was the culprit, was just happy to have it back....

Can't right click on my desktop. Files/Folders are also disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.