Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air with 1TB SSD

Hi

Does anybody know if a 1TB SSD from the newest Macbook Pro 13" fit into the newest Macbook Air?

I love my mackbook Air, but for my job as a photographer I need more space. I alos work with programs that build my pictutres and they already need about 150GB space as scratch disk.

So my 500 SSD Air is always on a limit and even on a production I have to always have a drive to store extra data/swap it from the macbook air.

This data is about 300GB per prduction.

So a 1TB Air would be just fine. But cant buy it at apple :-(

Does anybody know?

Then I buy a 13" 1TB and swap the drives.

I do not need a fast mashine, I got an iMac for the hard work at home.

Thank you,

R*

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), SSD Upgrade

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 12:46 PM

84 replies

Dec 22, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Kappy

And SSD is solid state, so are the new flash-drives. They are SSD´s but conected to the PCI-Bus, not to a SATA-Bridge. (most SSDs use NAND-based flash memory)

They are made by Samsung, and they have not yet released them to the public and I do not know if they will..

But that is not the question. Thes are detachable, and I just whant to know if they fit/work. They definilty have the same architecture in them I just do not know if apple put a specific driver in it that will not make it work in an Air or if the conector is a different one.

Dec 22, 2013 5:31 PM in response to Paz.americano

If you look at a teardown of an MBA (or an MBP with Flash) they are not removable without soldering them off the logic board and soldering new ones on. They are NOT drives and there is no drive bay.

If you can find the Flash modules being used for the MBA (unlikely) and buy them you will need to open your MBA,heatsink it and carefully desolder and remove all the modules then solder the new ones on and put it all back together. You will of course void your warranty.

Whether this will work or not is anyones guess. After you are done trying let us know how it turns out.

Dec 22, 2013 6:28 PM in response to deggie

Nope, but this is normal on forums; a lot of people tend to have the urge to just talk stuff and be a smarta...

The RAM is soldered in, the SSD´s are just stuck in like RAM´s usually where. They are held in position with one torque screw.

So if you do not know the answer (And you clearly do not) then just do not write anything! That is why people searching for similar things have to scroll to many un-useful answers to come to the point what you are looking for. And this is not the idea of a forum, taking other people time!

Dec 22, 2013 6:33 PM in response to Paz.americano

So if you knew the answer why did you ask the question?

Even if removed that easily it is not considered user serviceable or upgradeable so you still have the problem of obtaining the SS modules (they aren't drives) and voiding your warranty.

Wouldn't it be better to sell your computer and go for one with a larger drive? Carry a portable Thunderbolt drive?

Dec 22, 2013 8:01 PM in response to deggie

Read thequestion, it is not answerd!, and I do not know the answer. Easy, he?

And for Warranty, I alsways upgraded my Macbook´s to what was possible. i.e. 2x512GB Raid o SSD with Samsung 840 PRO. I work with those things, and timesaving is money or my pression time.

But that was not the question!

A external drive is not an option.

But that was not the question!

Dec 22, 2013 8:37 PM in response to Paz.americano

You do know that everyone here volunteers, right?

From looking at the teardown of the Macbook Pro 13" Retina it does not appear that the module is the same as the one in the MBA.

As far as upgrades on previous models replacement and upgrade of the file storage, whether SSD or other and RAM was permitted under the warranty. The SS modules in the newer models are not considered upgradeable or user serviceable hence my mention of the warranty problem.

The other issue is all of these are proprietary and are not sold by Apple and not available thought OEM. To make it worse they don't even appear to be swapped between models. The Samsung module in the current MBA will not work in the 2012 MBA.

So if an external drive is not an option you need to sell the computer you have and buy one with the 1TB you need.

Dec 22, 2013 10:02 PM in response to deggie

as I said, I do not care about the waranty. I do not know why you mention this again. Is it because you cant say, oh, sorry, I did not get that?

Or is it because you are always right?

second: Why do you come up with with 2012 Models? I am totaly aware that the PCIe conectet models will not work in SATA conected models and vice versa.

And all this did not answer my siple question, that you are not able to answer, so just leve it be.

and for the volunteers, thank you for talking my time!

P.S.

Does this grow egs?

Dec 23, 2013 8:32 AM in response to Paz.americano

Again, if you have all this information why are you asking the questions?

You will not be able to get a difinitive answer on this here, or anywhere else probably, as this just isn't supported. The only way YOU can answer your question is to somehow find a 1 TB module (Buying a MBP with one installed is probably the only way you will get one), swap the modules and post back here and let us know if it works.

Hope you have a pleasant Christmas.

Jan 11, 2014 11:55 AM in response to deggie

Hmmm.... sorry for bumping this question, but I have the same question and it doesn't seem to be answered.: does the 1 Tb PCIE SSD from the recent Macbook Pro's fit in the recent MBA's? It's really just a Yes/No question and has nothing to do with warranty. Why not go for the Pro with the 1 Tb option? Because I already bought the MBA by the time the Pro came out and so all I need now is more SSD space (and Apple not to tell me that I don't need it ;-)) And no, it's not soldered to the mainboard and yes I know the difference between the SSD's of the2012 and the 2013 models. Tnx for your time!

/M.

Jan 11, 2014 1:49 PM in response to Paz.americano

Hi Martin

Well, the modules of the Macbook Pro and the Macbook Air are physicaly from the outside excactly the same in size, screwhole is on the same position and the conectors are the same to.

So it would fit, but I still do not know if it works as of chip programming on the SSD.

But, there are the first drives on the marked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macbook-AIR-PRO-retina-1T-SSD-samsung-711-712-760-761-86 4-865-866-293-294-/131079141552?pt=DE_Computing_Solid_State_Drives_SSD_&hash=ite m1e84ecf8b0

This is but more expensive then buing a 1TB Macbook Pro, exchanging the drives and selling it again.

I want the Air because it is much lighter ans slimmer than the Pro.

I got an iMAC maxed out for power at my office, but I need something good working when on production. Thats where the Air is so good and has good Core-Power. My software does not need any Graphics-Power.

Hope this helps a bit.

I gues sooner or later there will be more SSD´s for the Air as replacement. Then the drives also should fall in price.

Best,

Roberto

Macbook Air with 1TB SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.