Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading PDF files in OS X Mavericks

After upgrading to OS X Mavericks, I find that Adobe cannot open downloaded PDF files.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 8:27 AM

24 replies

Dec 26, 2013 8:56 AM in response to Felicia G

Felicia,

What version of Adobe Reader? Adobe Reader > About Reader. The current version for OS X is 11.0.04, which works fine in Mavericks for me.

What message is Adobe Reader providing you when it cannot open PDF files? Is this within Safari, another browser, or during an attempt to directly open a PDF file, either via the Finder, or with Adobe Reader File Open?

Dec 26, 2013 12:57 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your response.

I do have Adobe Reader 11.0.04.

The message is:

"Adobe Reader could not open ........pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

It has happened both with files downloaded from the Internet and attachments to an email which are saved to my computer; the name is saved, but the information states that the size is zero bytes. When I try to open the file in Safari directly from the Internet I can read the file.

Dec 26, 2013 4:47 PM in response to C F McBlob

Felicia clearly stated that she had no issue viewing PDF files from the Internet within Safari. Rather, Reader was newly borking on the files that were direct downloads into the filesystem, or came as email attachments. A very different issue from plug-ins.

Felicia, if you had opened an Internet PDF in a browser plug-in, you must use the save feature in the plug-in, not File > PDF Export, or File > Save As... These approaches will create a munged PDF that will cause Reader to pop that dialog you saw. You must use the Save feature provided by the browser plug-in. This is on a hover-bar that appears slightly above the bottom of your browser window with the PDF displayed.

User uploaded file

This may also explain the corrupted PDF email attachments too.

Ok. So you have reinstalled Acrobat Reader per CF McBlob's pointer and everything is messed up.

Drag Acrobat Reader to the trash and empty the trash again. Sigh. Now get a fresh copy from the Adobe consumer site. Once you download it, exit Safari. Install Acrobat Reader. See if you can see Internet PDF again in Safari. Follow my advice above on how to correctly save viable PDF files. See if your issues are solved. And eject the Acrobat Reader installer from your Desktop.

May 7, 2014 2:16 AM in response to C F McBlob

I developed this problem a week ago (using Safari 7.0.3 on Mavericks ).I have googled it a few times and found a lot of similar threads but no solutions that I felt confident to implement myself.

C F McBlob's solution worked perfectly for me. Safari now opens and saves pdfs without any problem. (I have not bothered reinstalling the Adobe Reader app - I'll see how I get on without it!) Thanks C F McBlob!!

Jun 13, 2014 7:05 PM in response to Felicia G

Finally, after searching the internet to find a solution to open a file, I came across the info Viking OSX provided and it worked.

I started having this problem of not being able to open a pdf file I save while on the internet. I never had a problem before and I am not sure why I started having one. Is it the version of Adobe Reader I updated to?

Just wondering why. I save the file the way Viking says to and presto, when I want to open the pdf file , it opens!

Thanks!

Downloading PDF files in OS X Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.