Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to officially unlock icloud lock not have id and password

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 10:08 AM

Can't be done that way. Unless the pawnbroker received the device with the Activation Lock already turned on, it cannot be turned on after the fact. So, what you are describing are thieves who take the Activation Locked Device to a pawnbroker then go to their insurance to see if they can get a replacement phone claiming it was stolen. All sounds very shady to me.

Bottom line, if the phones you receive are Activation Locked when you receive them, they are useless for you. Follow the instructions to ensure that the device is not Activation Locked by doing the following any time you receive one of these devices as is highlighted below and contained in this support article (Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support):

How do I check for Activation Lock before I buy a used device?

When you buy an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device is erased and no longer linked to the previous owner’s account. Follow these steps before you buy the device:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. After choosing a language, choosing a country or region, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you're asked to "Set up your iPhone," “Set up your iPad," or “Set up your iPod” the first time you turn it on.

You have to do that each and every time. That is the only way to ensure that the device is not Activation Locked. There are no databases or other services that can make that guarantee.

Best of luck,

GB

159 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2017 10:08 AM in response to chrispattihis

Can't be done that way. Unless the pawnbroker received the device with the Activation Lock already turned on, it cannot be turned on after the fact. So, what you are describing are thieves who take the Activation Locked Device to a pawnbroker then go to their insurance to see if they can get a replacement phone claiming it was stolen. All sounds very shady to me.

Bottom line, if the phones you receive are Activation Locked when you receive them, they are useless for you. Follow the instructions to ensure that the device is not Activation Locked by doing the following any time you receive one of these devices as is highlighted below and contained in this support article (Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support):

How do I check for Activation Lock before I buy a used device?

When you buy an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device is erased and no longer linked to the previous owner’s account. Follow these steps before you buy the device:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. After choosing a language, choosing a country or region, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you're asked to "Set up your iPhone," “Set up your iPad," or “Set up your iPod” the first time you turn it on.

You have to do that each and every time. That is the only way to ensure that the device is not Activation Locked. There are no databases or other services that can make that guarantee.

Best of luck,

GB

Dec 12, 2017 8:04 AM in response to shaidai

shaidai wrote:

No, Chris this this works I had to do this myself so I know for a fact that it will still work. I’ve actually done it several times for family members and friends

User uploaded fileYes, it works, but it's not Activation Lock, the original subject of this thread. If the device is asking for a four or six digit numerical code, this is a passcode, and as you say can be got past by erasing and resetting the device. If however the device is showing a screen like that shown at right, this is Activation Lock and without the required ID and password being supplied by the person who set the lock there is no way whatever of bypassing it. That was the situation the OP found himself in.

Mar 12, 2017 5:34 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

I have an iPhone that is our property. My daughter wants to use it. It is on my wifes account who has another IPhone. I have my wifes credentials but still I can not access the IPhone store or set it my daughters account. It say account is locked, but when we go through the unlock procedure my wife has to change her password. We try again and nothing is changed, we get the same procedure

\We wiped the Phone, but it stlll knows it is coupled to find my iPhone. It wants my wifes credentials. But now it says that account can not be used to unlock the Phone, (although the IPhone says that is the account to be used). It does NOT say how to solve it.

To assume people who have these problems have stolen Iphones is a big load of ********. The system that apple uses to protect the phones is broken somewhere.

May 24, 2017 2:25 PM in response to Jean Ronald Lherisson

No clue what you are suggesting, but Apple is not going to provide any conduit by which a previous registered owner of a device can be contacted by anyone regarding a stolen device (including Apple). This is not their business - they are in the business of selling hardware and software services, and are not in the business of being a middleman for lost or stolen devices. That's what the Find My iPhone service is for. The owner of the device can put a message on the device when it is lost or stolen providing contact information if they wish. If they do not choose to do that, why would Apple overrride that decision?

GB

Jul 28, 2017 6:44 AM in response to Nabeelnav

I have a unique problem that really requires a solution from Apple. My company provides reverse logistics and handles retail returns etc. One of our channels, which is a pawnbrokers send us volumes of iOS products, all of which have been legitimately purchased from users who have handed them over in-store for money. The Pawn broker take names, photo ID and proof of address from each person. They then run a checkmend report to ensure the phone is not stolen, or has any adverse info about it. The problem is that those selling them afterwards then report the phone stolen in order to commit insurance fraud to obtain a replacement phone free of charge, thus locking down the iOS product the pawnbroker then has. Most of the time, the details provided are false, or the person cannot be traced by those details, but the product is perfectly legitimate with an audit trail to prove it. How do we go about unlocking these devices, what mechanism is in place from Apple to unlock these perfectly functional and legitimately purchased items with proof of ownership?

Jul 28, 2017 7:12 AM in response to chrispattihis

Apple aren't the ones locking them down.

I'm assuming the devices are being blacklisted, which is done by the carriers. Apple has nothing at all to do with that. It sounds to me like the root cause of your problem is purchasing product from pawnbrokers, who in turn get them from less than honest people. If you have proof of identity for whoever supplied the device to the pawnbroker, and that actually happens to be the same person who reported it stolen, I'm sure there would be a legal remedy. The cost of litigation, however, would no doubt far exceed the value of the device itself and would not be worthwhile.

In this case, you do not have a technical problem that can be addressed by Apple.

If they are being activation locked, that's a different animal entirely and the supplier (pawnbroker) should be held to account for not ensuring the device was usable, or you should take responsibility for not ensuring the product you purchased was usable.

Jul 28, 2017 9:20 PM in response to chrispattihis

The problem is that those selling them afterwards then report the phone stolen in order to commit insurance fraud to obtain a replacement phone free of charge,

How do you know this?

thus locking down the iOS product the pawnbroker then has

As Gail noted, nothing is locked down later.
When the pawnbroker (or anyone receives it), FindMyiPhone should be disabled and this is easily checked at that time.

Oct 29, 2017 6:20 AM in response to deezel lenardo

deezel lenardo wrote:

You are so right these comments have the rudeness ......

Things are not rude just because you don't agree with them. Activation lock has reduced iOS device thread by as much as 30% in some areas. I know it hurts to hear that you may have been foolish in trying to get a deal on eBay or that you've found a device and want to use it and to be told you can't. But, it's the truth.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.