Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set a default email address?

I have four email addresses, three business ones and one personal address. Each time I write a new email it's sent from one of my business addresses and if I want to send the mail from my personal address I have to remember to choose the correct personal account from a drop-down box. Is there any way I can make my personal account the "default" address from which my emails are sent so that I don't constantly have to select from the drop-down box?

iMac, iOS 5.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 5:32 AM

1. Go to menu Mail > Preferences.
  2. Click on “Composing”
  3. Select the account you would like as default under “Send new messages from:” (or Send new mail from:) – this is under “Addressing:”)
  4. Close the preferences window.

17 replies

Dec 29, 2013 5:10 AM in response to daimorgan

Open Mail, click Mailon the menu bar, Preferences, Accounts, highlight the account you want tobe the default, then under Outgoing Mail Server check Use only this server.

If you want to use another mail server to send a message, in the New Message compose window, below To, Cc, Subject is the From line where you can select a different server from which to send the mail.

Jul 27, 2017 2:47 AM in response to mahalo_spirit

I have tried both of these again and again. It has had no effect and I am finding it very difficult to keep my work for a charity separate from my activism which is very unhelpful. I checked today - a message I thought I had sent from my personal address (and which carried my personal email signature) was nevertheless sent from charity work address as default. This is a real problem as I also do not wish to share my personal email with my work contacts - so I can't just swap the defaults round.

I have set the option to use the From address I nominate but this doesn't stop it being labelled from another address.

I have tried the drag and drop again and again and it doesn't respond.

Do better please

Or tell me where I'm going wrong

Also the whole programme crashes and hangs on a regular basis.

Rebecca

Nov 22, 2017 8:51 AM in response to rrleninger

That's been mentioned in the thread and elsewhere, and worked fine previously, but I have a new ISP, and although I can receive mail from the new address, for some reason all outgoing mail was reverting to my previous email "from" address, even if I manually selected the new address in the from field in mac mail. This morning it seems I can manually select the new email address and send from it, but the default "from" server is the old address. I'd rather not have to select it manually for every outgoing email. I suspect there is something up with the new ISP, and perhaps in my configuration of the preferences pertaining to the new ISP's server and mail protocols.

Jun 6, 2014 5:54 PM in response to daimorgan

This solution didn't work for me, but the following solution from about.com did work:

Specify the Default Account in Mac OS X Mail

• Select Mail | Preferences... from the menu.
  • Go to the Composing category.
  • Select the desired account under Send new messages from: (or Send new mail from:) (under Addressing:).
  • Close the preferences window.

Specify the Default Account in Mac OS X Mail 1.x

• Select Mail | Preferences... from the menu.
  • Go to the Accounts tab.
  • Click on the account you want to make the default and
  • keep the mouse button pressed.
  • Drag the account to the top of the accounts list.
  • Release the mouse button.

Feb 28, 2016 5:04 PM in response to daimorgan

I don't know much of the specification for mac version,

every version has their own methods to do this.

For me, in Yosemite

1. drag is not working

2. outgoing server use this only options doesn't work properly.

for no.2,

if I disable that option on specific account, then when I reply on that account, I expected that account should try to send the other account, but that was not.

it tried to use it's own send server

I'm the only one who has this problem?

ps. what I want is, sending all accounts' mail reply from the one account

How do I set a default email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.