Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up outlook.com email account on Mac Mail?

Having trouble setting up my outlook.com email as an IMAP account in Mac Mail for OS X Mavericks. Have tried the solutions on google, but could use some help pls. Have been able to get it to work for in-coming mail, but not for out-going mail. Keep getting "rejected by server" error. Tried using these instructions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/how-to-set-up- mac-mail-to-sync-your-outlookcom/afdfe981-20c7-4d4a-b6b1-9329b27f018a

Am starting by selecting Mail > Add Account, then selecting "Add other Mail Account". The right way to start?

User uploaded file

Next, am entering dummy email address and dummy password per the instructions in the above link. After I click Create, i get the "Account must be manually configured" messsage as shown below.

User uploaded file

On the next screen, I select IMAP and putimap-mail.outlook.comas the mail server, and I put in my real outlook.com email address and real password.

User uploaded file

On the next screen, i put smtp-mail.outlook.com as the out-going server. I also put in my real email address and real password (I have tried it leaving these two fields blank, but that hasn't worked either). I then click create, and the new account is created with no error messages.

User uploaded file

With this set up I can send emails to my real-email@outlook.com address and they appear as expected in Mac Mail. But if I try to send an email within Mac Mail from real-email@outlook.com, I get this error:

User uploaded file

Maybe I am setting up the account incorrectly, or maybe there is something addtional I need to do in order to authenticate the account in Mac Mail or in Outlook.com. Not sure, and running out of ideas. Help appreciated. Thx

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 2:22 PM

You need to edit your smtp server list and allocate them to your outlook account.

imap-mail.outlook.com

port: 993, ssl

smtp-mail.outlook.com

port: 587, ssl

Choose in the Settings your outlook account and under the Accountinformation choose or edit below the smtp server.

27 replies

Dec 29, 2013 3:07 PM in response to pomme4moi

Hello pomme4moi,

See the pics below step by step

User uploaded file

At first choose your outlook-account in the account-informations window. Below of the window on the right side you can see which smtp-server your are using for this account.

User uploaded file

If this not the correct account for smtp open the smtp-serverlist and search for the outlook smtp-server.

User uploaded file

This Window show all my smtp-server from there I can assign one server from a specific account. If this server for outlook isn't in the list you can create one with tick the plus button and insert the outlook account information.

Ahh, forgot: In the Window above you can set the smpt-port under the "Advanced"-Button.

-- Sorry for my English not the best 😐

Dec 29, 2013 3:47 PM in response to pomme4moi

I just stepped through the Answer provided by Marie_V at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/how-to-set-up- mac-mail-to-sync-your-outlookcom/afdfe981-20c7-4d4a-b6b1-9329b27f018a

It basically worked for me.. again using OS X 10.8.5

The trick for me was to enter a Bad Password for my real account, but actually provide my real email address (step 4), because I couldn't correct my "reply-to:" email address when I first followed Marie's steps as exactly as possible..

I also had to delete the POP 3 account I created initially, as the Accounts System Preferences wouldn't let me create a separate account using the same email address as the already existing POP 3 account.

Entering the password incorrectly causes Mac Mail to allow me to select "IMAP"..

Then it was straight-forward from there..

incoming: imap-mail.outlook.com

smtp: smtp-mail.outlook.com

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I was able to send/receive from the Outlook.com (IMAP) account to my iCloud account and visa-verse..

Dec 30, 2013 6:46 AM in response to Camino fan 2010

Thank you all, very helpful. I can now send and receive emails to / from my outlook.com eamail address from within Mac Mail.

One more quetion pls. Let me refer to A as accessing my outlook.com email from within Mac Mail, and B as accessing my outlook.com email from the Outlook.com website from Safari. When I send an email to my outlook.com eamil address, I can see the email in both A and B (i.e., I see that A and B stay in sync). Both show the same email messages in their respective inboxes. This makes sense, as this is what an IMAP account is supposed to do. But when I delete an outlook.com email message from A, it is not automatically deleted in B. Similarly, if I delete a message in B, it is not deleted in A. It appears that the IMAP account is not sychronizing deletions correctly. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Dec 30, 2013 9:36 AM in response to pomme4moi

I got Outlook.com and Mail running side-by-side

I deleted an email with Apple Mail.

Clicked the Synchronize Folders icon in Outlook.com

and the email was still there in Outlook.com

Went back to Apple Mail

right-clicked on Trash

selected Erase Deleted Items

Went back to Outlook.com

Clicked the Synchronize Folders icon

et voila.. the email had disappeared..

Dec 30, 2013 9:58 AM in response to Camino fan 2010

Next test

using Outlook.com I just deleted an email

by clicking the Trash icon that appears

when hovering near an email subject

in the list of emails.

Then I clicked the Send/Receive button

in Apple Mail.

The email disappeared from the Inbox listing

in Apple Mail.

The email is listed in the Deleted Folder

within Apple Mail.

The email also appears in Outlook.com

within the Deleted Folder

I'm not seeing an equivalent operation in Outlook.com

to perform the Erase Deleted items

such as Apple Mail provides..

There was momentarily a "Sweep to Delete"

animation that appeared and is now gone..

Pomme is correct.. by selecting "Erase Deleted Items"

within Apple Mail does not clear the Deleted Folder

when the email was first deleted using Outlook.com

Now I'm seeing further synch problems in that deleting in Outlook.com

The emails disappear from Apple Mail Inbox,

but do not appear within the Apple Mail Deleted Folder..

(as it did with the first message I deleted using Outlook.com)

Yes.. there is some synchronizing problems..

I just exited Apple Mail, and restarted it, synched

and now all messages deleted from Outlook.com

appear within Apple Mail Deleted Folder..

For Outlook.com the equivalent operation to Erase Deleted Items

Is to click the Trash icon next to the emails

within the Deleted Folder..

Moral of the story is for Apple Mail

periodically select Erase Deleted Items

and for Outlook.com

periodically look in the Deleted Folder

and delete those emails (that you already deleted)

a second time..

Dec 30, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Eriasu65

I don't use it extensively..

I'll keep an eye out for that error though..

I also setup Outlook For Mac to connect via IMAP..

WIth Outlook For Mac if you let it setup the Account automatically

based upon your email (@msn.com) it defaults to POP3..

I've never been a big believer in IMAP..

I typically use POP3 and configure each client

to remove emails from the server

that are older than 3 months.

That typically allows multi-point access to the email I need..

Dec 30, 2013 11:52 AM in response to Eriasu65

"Have you got the Problem sometimes if you delete a message by outlook.com account to get an error that the Mail cannot move to trash-folder too?

I get this once per day after choosing to delete second time than works. At this point I think this is really a syncing problem made by outlook.com because other accounts works."

YES! Happens all the time, also happens since I migrated from Mail to the Airmail app so I think it is an Outlook.com bottleneck. Give them a chance to get it right, they have only been IMAP for a short time.

How to set up outlook.com email account on Mac Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.