Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot IMPORT MEDIA in 10.1

I recently upgraded to 10.1 and I can no longer import media. I trashed the application (and preferences) and reinstalled following Apple's advice, but the problem persists. When I click on import media I get the spinning beach ball and must force quit the application. Any suggestions?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 7:47 AM

17 replies

Jan 7, 2014 12:14 PM in response to mattmgut

I am having this problem as well... after upgrading to 10.1 all my events and projects everything seemed to be running great... until I tried to import new media. Every attempt results in the spinning beach ball and "Final Cut Pro Not Responding" when I click on Force Quit. Some times I even have to restart the computer to get my computer to work right after Force Quiting final Cut Pro!

I am on a 2.6 GHz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro with 16 GHz of Ram and a 512 Gig Flash Drive... with my media and Libraries on a large USB 3 RAID drive. I recently upgraded from an older MacBook Pro because the spinning ball of death and crashed computers was a way of life when using Final Cut Pro X... and now with the 10.1 upgrade here I am right back to that again. To say I am an unhappy camper would be an understatement!

Jan 7, 2014 6:39 PM in response to mattmgut

Okay… it doesn’t appear anybody has an answer to this problem… but here is what I have found so far. On another forum someone who had this same problem found that Final Cut Pro didn’t like one of his hardrives… but as long as he didn’t mount that particular drive… then he was able to import media no problem. Luckily for him the drive Final Cut Pro had a problem with was not his main media drive… but unfortunately for me it appears that Final Cut Pro "doesn’t like” my RAID drive that just happens to be my main Media drive. It is a 4 bay OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 USB3 RAID box loaded with 4 x 3TB WD Red drives… and just like my upgrade to a newer MacBook Pro… I bought it specifically to try to get a system together to finally be able to actually work with FinaL CUT PRO X. And it did work too… for a very short period of time until I upgraded to 10.1. Now it appears I have spent well over a thousand dollars on a RAID system that Final Cut Pro 10.1 "doesn’t like to play with”! Reading through all these posts in all these Forums... it really appears to me that for all of its great new functions… Final Cut Pro 10.1 is a very quirky and unstable program with ton of issues. I have been an Apple user since… well since forever… but right now I am so angry fed up with Apple that for the first time ever I am close to throwing my Macs out the window and going over to the dark side! Does anybody out there have any ideas… as I really can’t afford to replace this new RAID system just because Apple and Final Cut Pro "doesn’t play well with others"?

Jan 7, 2014 7:55 PM in response to disanders

Thanks disanders. I followed your findings and ejected all my drives including the Lacie Thunderbolt drive I use for FCP X media. After launching FCP X, I connected the drive again and I was able to import media again. I was worried that it would not play well, but it came through. I will let you know how it does over the coming days. Thanks again for responding and looking into this issue.

I have a 21.5 Mid-2011 iMac with 16 GB of RAM. Other components are stock.

Jan 17, 2014 12:51 PM in response to mattmgut

Happy that I was able to solve your problems... but unfortunately I still have not been able to solve mine. 😟 Re-installed to the new Final Cut Pro 10.1.1 but I still "cannot import anything" into Final Cut Pro when my OWC Raid drive is mounted. If it is not mounted I can import no problem... but if it is mounted then I just get the spinning wheel of death until I force quit the application. As a work around I have been unmounting the Raid drive... and then importing new material into Final Cut Pro onto another drive... then remounting the Raid drive and dragging the new clips into the appropriate events on my OWC Raid drive. A very time consuming work around that I absolutely should Not have to do... and the whole thing is driving me crazy! If anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions I would sure like to hear them?

Jan 19, 2014 5:00 PM in response to disanders

Russ suggested a driver issue , have you tried an OWC information search/request on the issue?

If you are getting nowhere:

I would try creating an external boot drive with a "Clean Install" of Mavericks.

This will determine if there is something amiss on your MBPro system.

If you have loaded Mavericks over the top of other OSs, Mavericks may have inherited something it doesn't like and is "spitting the dummy".

My MBPro is similar to yours and runs an external Raid thunderbolt.

No issues with importing so far on mine.

Al

Jan 20, 2014 3:37 PM in response to Alchroma

Thanks Russ... have spent hours with OWC on Live Chat... and they have no answers or useful suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion Al... will try creating an new external boot drive when I get a chance and give that a go.

One of the only other things I can think of is that I ran Disk Warrior on my Raid drive around the same time as I updated to Mavericks and Final Cut Pro 10.1. Just wondering if there is any possibility if the new directory created by Disk Warrior could be causing the problem? But then I have run Disk Warrior on other drives as well... is anybody else that is having this problem using Disk Warrior?

This is becoming a very frusterating problem?

Feb 16, 2014 12:44 PM in response to Alchroma

If you are getting nowhere:

I would try creating an external boot drive with a "Clean Install" of Mavericks.

This will determine if there is something amiss on your MBPro system.

If you have loaded Mavericks over the top of other OSs, Mavericks may have inherited something it doesn't like and is "spitting the dummy"

I did the above - spending time and metered bandwidth. I created an external boot drive and performed a clean install of Mavericks. FCP X still does not respond when I try to import media. I am not sure what else to do at this point.

Matt

Feb 16, 2014 1:11 PM in response to Bounorwa

Thanks. This worked, but is it possible to connect my external drive when the import window is open and import the media to the drive? I use an external Thunderbolt drive to store my events and projects.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I plugged in my external drives while the import window was open. Closed the window. Opened by events (on external drive) and then opened the media again. So, this is a work around. Thanks again.

Apr 2, 2014 8:16 PM in response to mattmgut

I also had the dreaded spinning ball when i have my OWC Mercury Elite External drive attached. However, i just let it run and it eventually showed up. I think it was hanging since it was indexing the entire drive of various media. The larger the media the longer it takes. Have you tried just letting it run? Seems like a bug in Final cut pro that's pretty easy to reproduce.

Good luck.

I cannot IMPORT MEDIA in 10.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.