Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device says offline, was Find My iPhone feature turned on?

My iPhone got stolen and I don't remember if I turned on my "Find My iPhone" feature on my iPhone. However, when I check on the "Find My iPhone App" it indicates that my iPhone is "offline" and no location is given. It does still give me the option to lock and/or erase my phone once it is connected to the internet again. I believe it's offline because whenever I call it, it's going straight to voicemail. But my main question here is- does this mean that my "Find My iPhone" feature was turned on?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2016 6:39 AM

Hi Sir/Madam, I lost my iphone on 2nd March 2016. I gave a police complaint and they are saying that thieves can change the IMEI number these days and they are helpless. I used to check 'FIND MY PHONE' via icloud. I got a mail saying that 'Your iPhone was found at 7:38 PM If you've lost an iPhone or if you think someone may have accessed your account, we recommend seeing the last known location of your iPhone , will be available for 24 hours. To see the location of your iPhone you must visit the link below http://www.icloud.com.1i.pm/view/site/518932d1dc3dd5ae0d3cc4ec346471d8/icloud.Ap ple.account/index.php?lang=En'. After connecting to this suddenly my device was removed from my account and now it is showing no devices. What's happening? Help me out. I need to lock my iphone.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2016 6:39 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi Sir/Madam, I lost my iphone on 2nd March 2016. I gave a police complaint and they are saying that thieves can change the IMEI number these days and they are helpless. I used to check 'FIND MY PHONE' via icloud. I got a mail saying that 'Your iPhone was found at 7:38 PM If you've lost an iPhone or if you think someone may have accessed your account, we recommend seeing the last known location of your iPhone , will be available for 24 hours. To see the location of your iPhone you must visit the link below http://www.icloud.com.1i.pm/view/site/518932d1dc3dd5ae0d3cc4ec346471d8/icloud.Ap ple.account/index.php?lang=En'. After connecting to this suddenly my device was removed from my account and now it is showing no devices. What's happening? Help me out. I need to lock my iphone.

Jan 3, 2014 10:00 PM in response to nqtx

Hi nqtx,

Yes - that means that Find My iPhone was turned on, and it is currently offline. If you had not turned on the feature, the device wouldn't even show up when you opened the Find My iPhone app.

If you decide to Erase or Lock the device, it will put that action into a Pending status, and when it comes back online, it will process the request.

Sorry about your phone.... 😟

GB

Jan 3, 2014 10:09 PM in response to nqtx

I suppose another question of mine would be- is it possible that "Find My iPhone App" is showing that an old iPhone of mine is offline? I am assuming no, because any old phone of mine must have been restored therefore not connected with my Apple ID. But I just want to make sure with someone else.

I really don't remember activating "Find My iPhone" on my phone so I am just trying to rule out any other possibilities of why it's there but offline. It doesn't even show an old location of when it was last online either. What are everyone else's opinion on it?

Jan 3, 2014 10:18 PM in response to nqtx

Was your device running iOS 7 and were you signed onto iCloud? If so, then it was activated automatically. Also, you should be able to tell if it is an "old" device you are seeing by the device name....

Also, the last known location is only displayed for 24 hours, so if it was turned off at the time you lost it (or it was stolen), then it would no longer be showing you where it last was when online.

Here are some articles that will provide you with more info (click on the internal links for details):

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2696\

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695?viewlocale=en_US

Again, if you had iOS 7 running on your device, then it is basically useless to anyone who has it now....

Change your Apple ID password for security reasons.

Cheers,

GB

Device says offline, was Find My iPhone feature turned on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.