Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M-Audio Fast Track USB and Logic Pro X

I wanted to share this tip in case anyone else has the same issue I had.

I attempted to use the Fast Track USB audio interface with Logic Pro X. It had worked in every version of Garageband since version 3, as well as older versions of Logic Express and Logic Pro, so I assumed it would work out of the box with Logic Pro X.

With it plugged in correctly, and my guitar connected to it, I added a new audio track to my project - ensuring the Fast Track was set as the input device, and input 2 was selected (input 1 is the XLR input on the device) - and enabled playback monitoring. There was no sound. Additionally, the button to enable recording was not present for the track. The same was true for every new track I added that used the Fast Track as the input device.

I tried everything: in Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Devices, I toggled between the built-in input and the Fast Track; I restarted the software; I unplugged and plugged in the Fast Track, and I restarted the system. None of these worked. Then I had an idea.

In the Applications > Utilities folder on my Mac, I opened the Audio MIDI Setup app. This opened the Audio Devices window. I clicked on the plus at the bottom left and chose to Create Aggregate Device. I named this device by double-clicking the name on the left, then on the right I checked Built-in Input and Fast Track, taking note of which inputs belonged to the Fast Track in this new device (for me, inputs 3 and 4).

After restarting Logic Pro X, I chose this new aggregate device as my input device, chose input 4 for recording, and suddenly everything worked correctly.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 6:26 PM

29 replies

Jan 13, 2017 9:56 PM in response to FaustsHausUK

This didn't work for me... I've tried everything! I can't hear playback recording. I have searched the Web for a long time and have no answer to my problem. I've Uninstaller my software I restarted everything and no sound. It's getting harder for musicians to record. What happened to back in the day when all you and to do was just press record... bllaa

Jan 5, 2014 4:54 PM in response to FaustsHausUK

FaustsHausUK wrote:

Excellent, I wonder if this might be a universal solution till Apple figure it out.

I don't think it's universal but it's certainly better than the current situation.

The only problem with Aggregate devices is they often have a slightly higher latency and are usually a bit less stable... but it is a viable alternative. Well done!

Jan 7, 2014 2:03 AM in response to FaustsHausUK

I contacted Logic Pro X support and they said that they are working on an update. They were very helpful, so no worries guys. They know that there is an issue and they are working on it A.S.A.P. They told me if I needed to continue production to use time machine and go back before the update and restore Logic Pro X (before 10.0.5).

They understand, so give them a break... 🙂 They are working as fast and hard as they can. I talked with one of the programmers directily. They are probably not getting any sleep over this.

M-Audio Fast Track USB and Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.