Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture on External Drive Organization

I have about 800GB of Photos/Videos on my external hard drive that are under a single image called "Aperture Library". However, I want to start organizing these photos/videos on my external in a better way (MyName > Photos > 2014 > January > Event), so if I need to see my library on another computer, I can easily access the information I need. My process that I want to start using for importing photos/videos is 1) sticking the SD card from my camera in the computer, 2) dragging the into the new folder >Photos>2014>January> on the external 3) then import the photos into Aperture (so they are organized both on my external hard drive and in Aperture). But I do not know the easiest way to do this, because I cannot organize my photos in the single "Aperture Library" image. Is there an easy way to do this?

Also, on top of this 800GB of Aperture Library on my external, I have another 100GB Aperture Library taking up space on my MacBook Pro's hard drive. I want to merge those libraries together, but do so by making all of my photos go to the external in one library. Is there a way to do this? I am losing space because it only has 256GB and I want to keep it as free as possible. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Aperture Questions

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 2:13 AM

Yes it's all pretty easy and standard stuff for Aperture.

Depening on how the two libraries were created an populated, there may be a bit of tidy-up to do first or later. For example, if you had imported the same photos into each library, you would get duplicates. So before proceeding do some basic tidying to make sure each library is in good order. It's probably worth running the first aid repair on each library too, and obviously you should always make sure you have a good backup of your data.

Step 1. Merge the two libraries together.

Open the large library on the external drive in Aperture.

Use the 'File->Import->Library' menu to import the small library from your internal drive. If prompted for "Merge or Add" choose Add. This will bring all of the contents from the small library into the big one.

Check that the library now contains all the projects/images from the internal library. When you are happy the small library has been added into the large one, you can delete the small one from your external drive (again, make sure you have a backup).

Step 2. Check your project (event) hierarchy and make sure you are happy with the names.

Within your now even larger library, review the project names. These are about to become your event folder names on external drive eg: /gborden/photos/2013/01/<project name>.

Step 3. Relocate your photos to your new folder structure on the external drive.

Within you large Aperture library, select 'Photos' from the library inspector to show all of your photos. Press CMD+A to select them all. From the menu choose "File -> Relocate Originals"

The following screen is shown (without the popup):

User uploaded file

Navigate to the root of your external drive and select your top level folder (eg: gborden), if it doesn't exist use New Folder (bottom left) to create it. Repeat for the 'Photos' folder within that.

The remainder of the folder structure will be created by relocating. To ensure this happens, click the 'Subfolder Format' selector and choose 'Edit...' from the bottom.

The following screen is shown:

User uploaded file

Select the 'Image Year / Month' preset and click '+' to duplicate it. On the right, drag the '/' button into the format line and repeat for the 'Project Name' button so you get the Format line shown above.

Click OK to return to the previous screen, then click 'Relocate Originals'.

It will now begin relocating all your originals into the new location, creating the folder structure as it goes. Note, you'll get '01' instead of 'January'. I don't think there is an easy way to get the month name at this stage. It could be changed later if it's important for you.

And that's it, just leave it to finish.

When you later close the library, you'll see it has shrunk vastly, as all the actual images are now in your 'gborden/photos/etc'.

When you import new images, there is no need to drag them to the folder structure first, Aperture can do tht for you too:

When you import from the card or camera, look at the import settings:

User uploaded file

You can name your project/event, then for the "Store Files" choose "Choose" and navigate to your "/gborden/photos" folder, choose copy, and then for the subfolder choose the template you created earlier: "Image Year / Month / Project". This will both import as referenced into Aperture, and copy the files to your folder structure.

Regards,

Andy

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2014 2:13 AM in response to gborden08

Yes it's all pretty easy and standard stuff for Aperture.

Depening on how the two libraries were created an populated, there may be a bit of tidy-up to do first or later. For example, if you had imported the same photos into each library, you would get duplicates. So before proceeding do some basic tidying to make sure each library is in good order. It's probably worth running the first aid repair on each library too, and obviously you should always make sure you have a good backup of your data.

Step 1. Merge the two libraries together.

Open the large library on the external drive in Aperture.

Use the 'File->Import->Library' menu to import the small library from your internal drive. If prompted for "Merge or Add" choose Add. This will bring all of the contents from the small library into the big one.

Check that the library now contains all the projects/images from the internal library. When you are happy the small library has been added into the large one, you can delete the small one from your external drive (again, make sure you have a backup).

Step 2. Check your project (event) hierarchy and make sure you are happy with the names.

Within your now even larger library, review the project names. These are about to become your event folder names on external drive eg: /gborden/photos/2013/01/<project name>.

Step 3. Relocate your photos to your new folder structure on the external drive.

Within you large Aperture library, select 'Photos' from the library inspector to show all of your photos. Press CMD+A to select them all. From the menu choose "File -> Relocate Originals"

The following screen is shown (without the popup):

User uploaded file

Navigate to the root of your external drive and select your top level folder (eg: gborden), if it doesn't exist use New Folder (bottom left) to create it. Repeat for the 'Photos' folder within that.

The remainder of the folder structure will be created by relocating. To ensure this happens, click the 'Subfolder Format' selector and choose 'Edit...' from the bottom.

The following screen is shown:

User uploaded file

Select the 'Image Year / Month' preset and click '+' to duplicate it. On the right, drag the '/' button into the format line and repeat for the 'Project Name' button so you get the Format line shown above.

Click OK to return to the previous screen, then click 'Relocate Originals'.

It will now begin relocating all your originals into the new location, creating the folder structure as it goes. Note, you'll get '01' instead of 'January'. I don't think there is an easy way to get the month name at this stage. It could be changed later if it's important for you.

And that's it, just leave it to finish.

When you later close the library, you'll see it has shrunk vastly, as all the actual images are now in your 'gborden/photos/etc'.

When you import new images, there is no need to drag them to the folder structure first, Aperture can do tht for you too:

When you import from the card or camera, look at the import settings:

User uploaded file

You can name your project/event, then for the "Store Files" choose "Choose" and navigate to your "/gborden/photos" folder, choose copy, and then for the subfolder choose the template you created earlier: "Image Year / Month / Project". This will both import as referenced into Aperture, and copy the files to your folder structure.

Regards,

Andy

Aperture on External Drive Organization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.