Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to force iPhone to use LTE to browse with WiFi airplay enabled?

I have iPhone 5 with unlimited data plan. Had to disconnect my home internet. will it be possible to browse in iPhone 5 (using LTE) and mirror to Apple TV which is connected to my no-internet wireless network?

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 7:14 PM

16 replies

Jul 24, 2014 8:45 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

You could always airplay from a computer or tablet connected to your hotspot network. There are utilities available which allow this. Bridge your network from a computer using the hotspot connection. Essentially the iphone becomes the internet source but your wireless network functions like it always did. Just use a different device for airplaying to apple tv.

Jul 28, 2014 9:16 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

This actually IS possible because the phone *can* connect to two networks at once. What it doesn't do is use both for it's Internet connection, but that's ok because that's not necessary.

1. Connect to the WiFi network you wish to use, and view the Info for said network

2. Under DHCP, note all the values that were automatically provided.

3. Switch to Static setup, and manually enter the values above. LEAVE THE ROUTER BLANK.

iOS recognizes that it cannot use the WiFi connection to reach the Internet, so it switches to mobile data. The WiFi icon will not be displayed, but you WILL still be connected to the WiFi network as well, and be able to access any resources on the local LAN (WiFi or Wired into your router's switch ports.)

This is tested and confirmed and used in a real world scenario on a 5S with iOS7, but probably works with earlier phones and versions as well. Specifically, this was used in a situation where Philips Hue light control was required while still connected to LTE. It has not been tested with AirPlay over WiFi, but theoretically it should work with that too. I was able to browse the WiFi router's admin interface while connected to LTE.

Caveats:

1. Because you've set your IP manually, there is a risk of possible IP conflict with another device on your network. This is unlikely on a network that does not have devices coming and going at all, and can be avoided if you specifically choose an IP that is outside of your router's DHCP range (If your DHCP range is x.x.x.2 - x.x.x.50, use .51

2. If you do actually want to use your WiFi connection for an Internet connection, you will have to remember to manually switch the WiFi connection back to DHCP (or manually fill in the Router, but it's easier and faster to just switch back and forth.)

Oct 26, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Jeremy Shaffner

Greetings.

I'm attempting to apply this information for an AppleTV that I am installing in my Chevrolet Silverado. Although I do not intend on watching YouTube while I drive, my wife would like to AirPlay YouTube in order to watch and to listen to music videos during travel. (I have started an AppleTV in a Silverado photo album on Flickr to detail my journey.) I have an iPhone 6+ on iOS8.1 and my AppleTV is at 7.0.1. Before installing the hardware into my truck, I'm testing it inside the house with a television that has an HDMI input.

What I can and can't do so far:

• Can control AppleTV with iPhone using "Remote" App = Yes.
  • Can AirPlay local video on iPhone 6+ to AppleTV = Yes.
  • Can AirPlay local audio on iPhone 6+ to AppleTV = Yes.
  • Can Mirror iPhone to TV = Yes.
  • Can AirPlay YouTube from iPhone 6+ to AppleTV = No.

iPhone 6+ Wi-fi Settings:

Static

IP Address = 192.168.0.200

Subnet Mask = 255.255.0.0

Router = ""

DNS = ""

Search Domains = ""

Client ID = ""

Router Settings:

Firewall = Disabled

Wireless security protocol = Disabled

DHCP

Router Address: 192.168.0.254

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Start IP address: 192.168.0.100

End IP Address: 192.168.0.199

Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0

Default Domain: 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

AppleTV:

Network: Ethernet

IP: 192.168.0.102

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.0.254

DNS: 192.168.0.254

Using these settings, when attempting to stream video from Youtube through the iPhone to the AppleTV, all the AppleTV does is display the waiting "spinner" and after a short time, this error message comes up, "An error occurred loading the content. Try again later." I can see the video from Youtube just fine on my iPhone, tho. The problem is attempting to stream it over to AppleTV.

Thanks for any insight!

Nov 8, 2015 10:30 PM in response to Jeremy Shaffner

Logged in to thank you for this.

I would like for you to understand how much I appreciate this. I've been trying to find a solution for wireless audio in my car. I've been reading online for months. I've tested a dozen Bluetooth devices and they all had deal breaking drawbacks. 1st was always audio quality. When audio quality was borderline acceptable, there was some other issue - wouldn't pair consistently, dropped connections etc. Worst was almost all of them seem to want to beat your eardrums with the fact that it was changing the volume or powering up or managed to make a connection - "BOODALADOOP BEEP BEEP HI YOURE CONNECTED" at full Freaking volume. So I finally discovered the Airport express had an audio out jack. Felt guilty at the prospect of paying $100 to essentially solve the first world problem of having to plug and unplug a 3.5mm cord every car trip. Finally found one for $60 new in box. Set it up. It worked...until whatever music I had buffered ran out and the phone tried to get dat from the wifi it was connected to. I was so close. And now surely I would google the problem and not find any kind of easy solution. YOUR SOLUTION WORKED THE FIRST TRY AND IT TOOK ME 5 SECONDS. I HAVE HALF A MIND TO FIND OUT WHERE YOU LIVE, TRAVEL THERE, AND GIVE YOU A BIG SLOPPY KISS WETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

Nov 18, 2015 6:37 AM in response to Jith

I am just trying out T Mobile's 'Binge On' and wanted to stream content from my iPhone 6+ to Apple TV 4 while connected to LTE.

I Tried the technique of using a static IP so that I could connect to the Apple TV through the network but continue to stream through T Mobile's LTE but setting the IP and Subnet Mask manually and leaving other fields blank doesn't seem to be working. After a few seconds the phone displays the wifi symbol rather than LTE.

i Have used this method previously to connect to a wifi OBDll device while maintaining LTE. Any new technique for keeping the LTE connection while staying in the wifi network for AirPlay Mirrowing?

thanks

How to force iPhone to use LTE to browse with WiFi airplay enabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.