Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange Policy Questions

So I bought my macbook pro with retina display a few days ago and plan on exchanging it. This device has a faulty LCD with 2 dead pixels and a small white blotch. I know if I want to the genius bar they would probably disgard this as a nothing issue..but since I'm exchanging it will they question and test my device? Or will they just give me a new one, no questions asked? Is there any fee involved? Do I need to package my original accessories?

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 11:10 AM

18 replies

Jan 12, 2014 11:41 AM in response to dominic23

I have a standard higher end configuration. 2.3ghz/512gb ssd/16gb ram.

Do I need to schedule an appointment? Or could I just walk in?

Thanks for the reply!

Jan 12, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Community User

You need to make an appointment.

Take the package that the computer came in and the invoice.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Standard Return Policy

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.

Exchange an item

If you purchased your item from Apple in the U.S., you can take it to any U.S. Apple Retail Store for an exchange. Item exchanges are, of course, subject to in-store product availability. It's a good idea to check in-stock availability by calling the Apple Retail Store, or by viewing the product on the Apple Online Store to see if the item is available for pick up locally. Personalized items and custom-configured Macs may not be eligible for exchange at an Apple Retail Store.

Best

Jan 12, 2014 11:50 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks dominic. Will do. 🙂 Just curious if I need to bring money to buy another one though haha. Or if I can exchange it for the same model for same price.

Jan 12, 2014 11:59 AM in response to Community User

The receipt you got for the first one has the serial # of that unit on it. That unit is tied to your payment for it. You need to Return that unit and then Yes Buy another to have the original serial number set As Returned and the new serial number put under your Name.

It is an Exchange just not what you are thinking of as an Exchange.

No you can't just go in and get a New one out of some other box without going through the proper steps of Return and then Repurchase.

No Big Company works that way.

shadow82x wrote:

I need to "buy" it again? I can't just swap it for another new one?

Jan 12, 2014 12:18 PM in response to LowLuster

That's a bit frusterating. Only because I'm a college kid and don't have the money readily availiable. Unless the refund is instant and I can just use the same exact payment method. (Which for me was splitting a debit and credit card for payment.)

Jan 12, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Community User

What are you talking about. You Return the original and get a REFUND, MONEY in your hand or put back onto your credit card account.

Then you take that money and buy another or use the Credit to your CC account to buy another.

But more than likely you will never see any money and only notice the Return of funds and then the entry for the funds spent on your CC statement.

Yes the payment will be the same and as above you won't even see it until you read your statements.

You are making this much more then it has to be.

No they will not just hand over a new computer to you without going through all the STEPS of a Return of merchandise and then a Purchase of new merchandise. What that is I'm not sure as I've never done it at a Apple store. But I have returned products, even 2 Mac computers, to another electronic store and the step are basically the same. It is called Book Keeping 101.

Jan 12, 2014 1:10 PM in response to LowLuster

Sorry the only reason I asked was because usually when I get a refund via credit/debit cards it takes a few days for the money to actually become available. (I'm not a big fan of the bank I'm using) But perhaps I can ask apple for a cash refund and they can let me just apply that for the new computer.

But thanks guys 🙂

Exchange Policy Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.