Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed the email address for my appleid now I can't update/download my old apps without buying them again.

I have the same icloud account, I just changed the email address because I was discontinuing use of the old one. Now if I want to update my apps or download the apps on a different device the app store requires that I sign in with my old email address, which I can't do since the account has been changed to the new address. Is there a way to associate the apps I purchased with the account with my new email address?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 11:02 AM

18 replies

Jan 13, 2014 7:27 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Yes, and it lets me purchase new apps with the new appleid email address just fine. If I want to update an old app it prompts me for the password associated with the old email address. I then have to go back to manage my appleid and change it back to the old email address then of back to the App Store and update the app. When it prompts me for the password with the old email address I can enter it and it works. So I essentially have to keep doing that for my apps which are split across two different email addresses yet the same account.

What I'd like is to be able to associate all of my existing apps purchased with that account to be able to be updated using the new email address so I can just have the one and finally dump the old address. Does that make sense?

Jan 14, 2014 1:50 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Exactly, it's acting like two IDa but it should only be one, I've done it the right way, I think, and it's just not working as expected. It's super annoying and I've invested a lot in apps and music that I am not willing to pay for again to have them all under the new appleid address. Apple really needs a way to fix this, it's gotta be possible, I just haven't figured out how yet.

Apr 18, 2014 5:26 AM in response to telmmi

I have similar issue. I changed the email ID, verified it changed the id in my iPad( iCloud and iTunes/App Store). I can download apps but update is not just working, when I tab the update button in App Store to update an app, it asks my password, I type and tab sign in, but nothing happens and never updates. But I can remove the app and then download the new version, then it works fine.

Aug 1, 2014 8:40 PM in response to telmmi

I also am having this issue. An example is that I previously purchased Notability, but accidentally uninstalled it. When I went back after the email change, which is when I noticed it was gone, I tried to re-download but it told me that I had to purchase it again. I'm worried, because I have almost one hundred dollars in music and apps that I can't access now.

Changed the email address for my appleid now I can't update/download my old apps without buying them again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.