Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access Desktop from Import menu

When on the import menu, the Desktop tab on the left hand side has a little buffer symbol next to it and I can't click on it or access the files to import them.

This also happens on iMovie. Does it have something to do with my hard-drive?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 7:25 AM

23 replies

Jan 14, 2014 8:59 AM in response to OliBMX

OliBMX wrote:

User uploaded file

No I can only select Macintosh HD from that dropdown.

Thanks

This is rather suspect. I believe this may not be related to FCP X.

Where is your home folder? Did you set it to some place other than the default?

It should appear there under Users, next to "Shared". This is so not normal.

Go to the Finder and press Cmd-Shift-D. You see a window titled "Desktop" showing the contents of your desktop folder. Cmd-click the title of that window. You should see something like the following picture (with your own username below "Desktop" and above "Users", and the name of your hard drive and machine below):

User uploaded file

Jan 14, 2014 9:16 AM in response to OliBMX

It looks like there may be some permissions problem, as apparently you are not allowed to access your own home folder.

What happens if you do Cmd-Shift-H in the Finder? (this should open your home folder, but since it appears dimmed, you may not have permission to).

Go up to the Users folder in the Finder. What do you see?

If you see the icon for your home directory (it should be named Oli and have the 'home' icon), does it have a forbidden sign on it? Click this icon and hit Cmd-I to open the Get Info window. What do you see under "Permissions"? It should be something like the image below. If you don't have "read and write" permissions, that could be the cause of the problem. You may try to fix it by clicking the padlock icon, enter your password and then changing the permissions. But I wonder how that may have happened in the first place (if it is the case).

User uploaded file

Can't access Desktop from Import menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.