Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto keeps duplicating the same picture until my hard drive runs out of space

I recently used GrandPerspective to find out why I was running out of hard drive space and I found that the same random picture in my iPhoto was being duplicated endlessly in my "/private/var/folders/ld/wct9ztcs31l39bzxr1pngbq40000gn/T/com.apple.iPhoto/com. apple.iPhoto" folder.

Is there any way to fix this glitch? Thank you

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 2:02 PM

That's not in your iPhoto, that's in the /private/var/ folder.

So whatever is going on there is at the OS level.

43 replies

Feb 17, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hey. I had the same problem. In my case, it looked like the exact same 1.0MB thumbnail file in that directory where the total size was over 100GB. Quiting iPhoto and restarting seemed to have stopped the replication. I have no idea what created the issue other than I had been importing thousands of files into iPhoto.

I just did a find with a -exec rm -rf {} + argument on the folder to clear it out.

Aug 10, 2014 8:39 AM in response to mattsidesinger

Hey. I have met same kind problem. Directly when I open iPhoto it will start duplicate one photo and it will fulfill all free space in the hard disk. I find "com.apple.iPhoto" -file with size of 170Gb and including 38436 files with random name but same picture based on quick view. I have tried to open and close iPhoto several times and reboot the computer but those doesn't help. Any hint how to proceed?

OS X 10.9.4, iPhoto 9.5.1. (902.17)

Aug 10, 2014 10:25 AM in response to Pannuton

This picture is not the same as the address that you gave.

you gave ....../var/folders/ld/.....

in your answer to OldToad you gave ....../var/folders/bm/.........

and in the picture it is also ......./var/folders/bm/......

This /ld/ folder is not in the picture anymore.

Does this mean that you have this phenomenon in two or maybe the three folders (8t/, bm/, zz/) ?

Seems like something is corrupted in the install of iPhoto.

iPhoto keeps duplicating the same picture until my hard drive runs out of space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.