Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost IMAP folders & Outlook for mac incoming me.com issues

Hi, For the past 18 hours I have been having issues with my mail on my Mac. Strangely it is working fine on my iPhone.

Error Message: "MY NAME" returned the error "[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed." Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?

Mail client : me.com

Program: Outlook for Mac 2011 (version 14.3.9)

Computer : Mac OS X Version 10.9.1

Please note that I have used all of the correct info as per below, but nothing seemed to be working.

IMAP information for the incoming mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
    If you receive errors when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: example@icloud.com (use your @icloud.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP information for the outgoing mail server

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
    If you receive errors when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: example@icloud.com (use your @icloud.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

THE SCARY PART....

In a fit of panic, I thought it was something to do with my IMAP server after reading an article, so I went into Tools>IMAP folders and clicked something, now all of my folders have disappeared. My LIFE is in those folders and I need to work out how to get them back. Nothing works and when I try to go back into to fix it, everything is grey scaled.

From the looks of things, the server issue seems to be a problem for everyone and i probably should have just been patient.

Now my biggest concern is how to get the IMAP folders back on my Outlook for Mac (note that at this present time the folders are still on my iPhone, but I have put my phone to airplane mode because I am scared that it will update and lose them there too).

Can anyone help me??? Desperate and extremely stressed out.

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 6:46 PM

Hi Leish007,

I too have suffered loss of IMAP folders in times past, usually because of synch failure relating to server issues. I know well how you feel! In my experience, the IMAP folders and their contents should be recreated once your Mac mail can re-establish contact with the server, which evidently is down for now (but I was told by a tech that it's being worked on).

For me this involves a big, long download owing to amount of emails involved. But the IMAP folders should still be there on the server.

During times when there are server issues I do not open Mac mail on my desktop in case the attempted synch results in loss of IMAP folders as has happened in the past.

Good luck with the recovery of your folders and their contents!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2014 6:46 PM in response to Leish007

Hi Leish007,

I too have suffered loss of IMAP folders in times past, usually because of synch failure relating to server issues. I know well how you feel! In my experience, the IMAP folders and their contents should be recreated once your Mac mail can re-establish contact with the server, which evidently is down for now (but I was told by a tech that it's being worked on).

For me this involves a big, long download owing to amount of emails involved. But the IMAP folders should still be there on the server.

During times when there are server issues I do not open Mac mail on my desktop in case the attempted synch results in loss of IMAP folders as has happened in the past.

Good luck with the recovery of your folders and their contents!

Jan 21, 2014 6:57 PM in response to vortex307

Hey vortex307,

Thanks so much for your reply, really helpful.

I'm on the phone to an Apple dude at the moment who says the servers status say they are working fine (he's really helpful though).

How did you hear that the server is down?

P.S. I logged on via my iCloud account on my internet browser and found the IMAP folders! Phew!

Jan 21, 2014 7:23 PM in response to Leish007

I've lost my entire inbox. It was there one minute and gone the next. I was talking to a rep at Apple about this whole problem and we got disconnected, but the I believe his instructions were responsible for my losing my mail. He kept telling me to try different things in my email, and I can't reconstruct what he said so that I can get back to where I was before I realized (without his help), that this is a problem for everyone and not just me. So frustrating.

Jan 21, 2014 7:29 PM in response to Leish007

Hi there, Leish007,

I spoke with an Apple tech earlier this evening who confirmed there was a server issue and that the engineers were working on it (this was definite).

There are folks in other relevant threads (i.e. relating to current icloud/mail problems) who mention having received this feedback as well.

Hopefully all will be well by tomorrow morning ...

Jan 21, 2014 7:49 PM in response to qfactors

Hi qfactors,

Usually the issue would be reported at the following link but for some reason they haven't indicated the problem. I was told that it should be resolved by the morning otherwise to call again. The problem for me is the same rejected password issue that others are experiencing (when I check for mail on my ipod Touch).

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Jan 21, 2014 7:58 PM in response to vortex307

Interesting vortex307, because the Apple techs were saying to me after much prodding about checking the server that everything is fine - they check the same website that us users do.

I then made them check internally and they said there WAS an issue but it should be fine now.

But your contact says that it will be fixed by tomorrow? Would be great if Apple were all on the same page - if it is still down or having issues then I am happy to just leave it until I can 100% confirm that the server is up and then try and fix it.

Jan 21, 2014 8:04 PM in response to Leish007

Leish007, I'm convinced they have no idea what is wrong. I've talked with two techs now, and if I didn't know better I'd say they were from two different companies. One seemed sincerely puzzled and tried to help, and the other was a real jerk who acted like he was sure the problem was me. I told him to come here and look at the posts. Wish I could fine my Inbox. I'm giving up for tonight.

Jan 21, 2014 8:08 PM in response to Leish007

Hi Leish007 - I have no problem logging into my icloud email via web - everything is there: new emails and my IMAP folders. But still no access to mail via ipod Touch and until that's resolved I won't open my desktop Mac mail client.

The tech I spoke with immediately did "internal" research and confirmed the problem. I think it's just a matter of chilling out until tomorrow - surely it will be resolved by then..

Jan 21, 2014 8:27 PM in response to Leish007

I think vortex307 that I can't get to icloud because the Apple tech made me reset my Safari cache and now whenever i go to www.icloud.com to login, it says "Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server icloud.com"

I'm guessing this is a security problem with my Safari once the reset but I don't know how to fix it.

I'm a technological neophyte as you can tell! 🙂

Might i suggest to everyone else out there, and apologies for shouting but

TELL ALL OF THE APPLE TECH GUYS ON THE PHONE TO COME TO THE APPLE SUPPORT COMMUNITY!

Jan 22, 2014 4:21 AM in response to vortex307

Vortex307,

I really appreciate your response as this is my first time posting to this community.

Yes, I did check the status page you provided the link to prior to my post. As you stated, there was no indication of a problem. So I thought that there might have been another location to check beside calling a tech support.

I know for the next time to check into this community if this kind of issue comes up again.

As of 7:20 EST on 22/01/2014, my mail on my desktop is working fine again without the password reject error.

Thanks everyone.

Lost IMAP folders & Outlook for mac incoming me.com issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.