Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"MSVCR80.dll Missing"

iTunes no longer starts on my PC the message is: this program cannot start "MSVCR80.dll Missing". This program has operated well for months and I have made no alterations other than attempting to install the latest update, what should I do?

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 7:05 PM

282 replies

Jan 22, 2014 8:57 PM in response to DrSchmenge

Interesting to hear that this seems to be not just an insolated incident. Hopefully this'll be cleared up soon.

I have a couple questions for people in the know.

1. What is MSVCR80.dll? Is it an important Windows compontant, or is it something associated with Apple?

2. With iTunes and other apple software on the fritz, are those affected more vulnerable to cyber-attacks?

Thanks!

Jan 22, 2014 10:30 PM in response to ageorge8

Well, I'm in the same boat tonight, too. Got the error about MSCVR80.dll missing. Couldn't get iTunes to even start after that, so I went to the Apple site & downloaded iTunes. Tried to install... get to a certain point and get the following error: Service 'Apple Mobile Device' (Apple Mobile Device) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system services.

I do have sufficient priveleges. I'm running my laptop as administrator, so I know I have those priveleges. Been looking at some of the suggestions here and am a bit leary of uninstalling everything from Apple after reading Bakotown's post. So I am now sitting here with no iTunes on my laptop and no way to access my library at all.

Kind of frustrated here, Apple!!! So I think I'm gonna shut this thing down, go upstairs where it's warm and play Sims for a while.

Running Windows 7 by the way...

Jan 22, 2014 10:46 PM in response to Anna_H

Apple did it to me too. Wasted hours trying to fix it. Removed ITunes and tried to re-install it. Now I got an error message saying that the application tried to incorrectly install the C++ Runtime libraries. It's getting worse by the minute. When are we going to get a resolution to this?

Does anyone from Apple ever read these notes or is this just for therapy? Don't they test their installations before distributing them?

Jan 22, 2014 11:08 PM in response to otacon72

Thank you otacon72. This worked for me.

I have learned to manually uninstall iTunes and then install the new version, and never let it try to upgrade. Even so, better than half the time it fails to install properly and I have to go through hours of troubleshooting to fix it.

At this point every time there's an iTunes update I feel like I'm inviting a monkey wearing a shirt with "Genius" printed on it to come and smear his excrement all over my computer so I can spend hours cleaning it up.

"MSVCR80.dll Missing"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.