Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to modify Guest Account in Mavericks

I have been modifying the built-in Guest Accounts (Adding the company wallpaper, set all the browsers to our company site etc) in all other previous versions of OS X until I upgraded one of my machines to Mavericks. I do this because I want it to reset back to the my customised settings.

I used to copy all the files over into the User Template/English.lproj file.

BUT now, after upgrading to Mavericks, there is no Library Folder under Users/Guest so I am unable to save all my settings that I made e.g. Mouse Settings, Wallpapers, Dock Icons etc. I unhid all the folders by running the commands and also in the Finder Settings.

It was so simple in the previous versions of OS X, somehow in Mavericks they have removed this function?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:51 PM

8 replies

Jan 22, 2014 9:26 PM in response to Barney-15E

Yes, I know that that folder dissapears once Guest account is logged off, but I switched user WHILE GUEST account is still logged on, in order to get "amended" folders so that I can copy it over to /System/Library/User Template/English.lproj folder

I login to Guest account and then make my changes, then switch user back to Administrator.

But the "temp" Guest folder in /Users/Guest folder does not have the "Library" folder where are all the settings are kept....that is what I am missing or has gone missing.

Jan 30, 2014 2:34 AM in response to Kenneth Khaw

Hello Kenneth and community

I also need to permanently modify the guest account for our new school laptops (dock, registring programmes, printer setting, wallpaper) running OSX 10.9. Not being very familiar to the Terminal, this following step-by-step post helped me when I had to do the same thing on OSX 10.6:

http://www.michaelsmac.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=394

However, this doesn't work for 10.9 as folder structure seems to be different. I tried to combine information from this thread here and the linked one but it didn't work.

Kenneth or someone else,

could you please give a step-by-step instruction to modify the guest account for 10.9 for "Terminal dummies" like me? Thanks very much in advance!

Morgy

Feb 5, 2014 6:49 AM in response to Morgy

Any help for this task would be much appreciated! I need to to the following for the gues user:

- customize the dock

- register some Microsoft programs

- do first runs on many programs

- set the default printer settings

- customize the wallpaper

I tried to do so by using the workroup manager, but could only modify the dock.

Morgy

Unable to modify Guest Account in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.