Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5s won't turn on or charge

Can anyone help

My iPhone 5s has turned off and will not turn back on. It won't charge or turn on when plugged into the computer.

Anybody got an ideas

Cheers

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2017 10:28 PM

Thank you! I tried charging my iphone 5s for hours - nothing happened with the "reset" buttons trick, and I could feel the case was stone cold, obviously not charging. First I tried (gently and carefully!) warming up the case with a hairdryer. I held the case in my hand - so I knew it wouldn't be over heated (if your hand can't take it - maybe it is too hot!). Then I dugout the ORIGINAL CABLE - still in the box- and plugged it into the charger. The "low battery" icon came on instantly! After a few min the phone turned on, with 4% charge. Turned it off and am still charging. This is so weird. I used the other 3rd party cable for months - since I first bought it.

97 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2017 10:28 PM in response to ByHisblood

Thank you! I tried charging my iphone 5s for hours - nothing happened with the "reset" buttons trick, and I could feel the case was stone cold, obviously not charging. First I tried (gently and carefully!) warming up the case with a hairdryer. I held the case in my hand - so I knew it wouldn't be over heated (if your hand can't take it - maybe it is too hot!). Then I dugout the ORIGINAL CABLE - still in the box- and plugged it into the charger. The "low battery" icon came on instantly! After a few min the phone turned on, with 4% charge. Turned it off and am still charging. This is so weird. I used the other 3rd party cable for months - since I first bought it.

Jan 23, 2017 9:28 AM in response to kkrishna1

That hair drier trick worked! I had taken my phone to Apple Genius Bar and the only option was to replace the phone with a refurbished phone for $240. Not happy with that option, I sought and found this solution. Worked perfectly! Hair drier for 2 minutes, plugged into charger, charged and powered just fine. Amazing! Thank you for the solution.

Jun 10, 2017 6:09 AM in response to JimHdk

Jim, thank you for this fix. I've had my 5s for 4 1/2 years, and this happened for the first time this morning. After reading some of the other comments, I think I'm lucky! My phone has fallen in water twice, and kept working. The OtterBox case may have helped with that. I want to keep this phone as long as possible. I paid $99 for it (new). You can't get deals like that anymore.

May 6, 2016 10:19 AM in response to Start_point

My 5s ran flat and wouldn't take a charge,i normally use my genuine charger and cable i had for my last 5s! so was gutted when it refused to boot up or even charge.after reading your post i looked for the box and found the (still plastic wrapped) charger & cable,i prayed and plugged it directly into a wall socket...praise the Lord,it showed the low battery icon right away & i left it to charge,about 10 mins later it booted up.

Thanks for your post

Mar 9, 2017 9:00 AM in response to Plague1

Nothing worked for me either. I had to get a new phone. I did get everything back because I had I cloud back up. If you backed up with I Cloud you will get everything back on your new phone. Not the ideal situation to have to buy a new phone but the cost of the repair was not for me. It was time to upgrade anyway.

Mar 21, 2017 6:17 PM in response to Jodielouise1991

You can try using a different charger. I know that the off brand iPhone chargers may not work, so try using an iPhone charger. If that is not the problem try to find any physical damage around the charging port and if you do, take your phone to a local apple store. If it isn't any of these your battery might be exhausted and might not work correctly, you should also go to an Apple store if you have this problem.

Mar 23, 2017 12:41 PM in response to Jodielouise1991

Hi everyone,
I'm afraid I've tried every tip on here and am still experiencing the same problem. Some weeks ago I plugged my iPhone 5s in to charge and saw the red battery flash up. When I came back two hours later my phone wouldn't turn on. I unplugged it, changed the charger (both originals) and after waiting for an hour it returned to life.

Now I've got the same problem again, only this time nothing will help. I left it on to "charge" all night, but to no avail. Is changing the battery a solution? That's what my local tech store said, however I'm scared of using my data if I do this.

Apart from that: is there any way to save or retrieve the data from my "dead" phone? I've got six months worth of travel photos on my phone which I'd hate to lose.

Please help! Thanks!

Aug 25, 2017 1:57 PM in response to kkrishna1

thanks so much, my phone was stuck on the charging battery screen and would not charge or power up for 24 hours until i read your post. I knew the phone felt cold so i put a t shirt in the microwave wrapped my phone in it, then i placed the t shirt under my laptop.15 mins later i removed the warm phone and put it to charge, within 10 mins my phone powered on.

My iPhone 5s won't turn on or charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.