As per itunes message to update to latest version, I updated to 11.1.4 on my PC. I'm running windows 8.1, 64 bit. After updating and restarting computer, itunes will not recognize any of my devices. iphone4s, ipod touch 5g, ipod touch 4g. The devices "are" recognized on the computer when plugged in via usb. I guess this would indicate that the usb cables and the drivers are good.
All of my itunes libraries for the associated devices open up just fine. All of the contents are in tact. It's just that the device is not recognized in itunes when opened. Any suggestions would be much appeciated.
Windows 8.1, 64bit
It appears that the 64bit install messed up the device drivers for the Apple mobilie devices connecting as USB.
I tried many things, I may have missed a step below. But the following is what I believe was the fix - since it worked on a 2nd PC.
Make sure you are using an administrator account. Any of them on your machine will do for the following
a) Get Windows to restart the drivers:
- disconnect your USB device and close ITunes
- connect your USB device
- if ITunes loads, close it.
b) File explorer:
- Open File explorer and browse to
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
- In that folder there should be a set of files named "usbaapl64...."
- right click on the one ending in "INF"
- Select Install. It's very quick.
- remove the USB device
c) Restart the computer.
When you login again, load ITunes before you attach your USB device.