Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Didn't get a response from the Software Update server"

Running 10.9 Mavericks. The loading wheel does it's thing and then I get this error message when checking for updates: "Didn't get a response from the Software Update server (192.168.46.8)." App updates do come through in the background but not iTunes or Mavericks updates. Any solutions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 10:23 AM

7 replies

Jan 25, 2014 10:35 AM in response to Drew321

Alright. Your Mac is trying to connect to a server on your local network (192.168.46.8). If that server is not present you will get the error you are seeing. I have not played with a local software update server in a while so let me figure out how to set OS X back to it's default settings and I will post again. Maybe in the mean time someone else will post the solution.

Jan 25, 2014 10:42 AM in response to Drew321

Go to your Library folder > Preferences and find this file:
com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Delete it.

Locate and delete the same file in your user Library folder.
Restart your Mac and OS X should generate new files that point the software update service back to Apple's servers.

Let me know if that works.

Jul 5, 2014 2:16 PM in response to Drew321

I get the same message except for that instead of an IP address in parenthesis following the message, I get:

Didn't Get Response from Software Update Server (mhq-swupdate.local).

I've tried Googling both the message and the "mhq-swupdate.local" and gotten nothing. Sorry if this is issue has already been addressed, but I can't find a response that helps me. I did try deleting "com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist" and then emptied trash and then restarted.

"Didn't get a response from the Software Update server"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.