Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.1 and Numbers 3.1 hanging - "com.apple.MediaLibraryService" taking huge amount of RAM

Hello,

Since latest update (Pages 5.1 - Numbers 3.1) I've experienced my computer runs really slow when opening either one of these programs.

Running Monitor activity I realize that "com.apple.MediaLibraryService" is using up to 2.5 GB of RAM memory!!!

I also notice that when I open both programs at the same time TWO "com.apple.MediaLibraryService" are running. Making the computer even slower.

This is really annoing because I need to work and my computer runs very solw.

Anyone has a workaround?

I really think is a bug.

Please, if anyone is having the same problem, report at http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

The more we do the faster they will solve it.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 7:08 AM

11 replies

Jan 29, 2014 7:28 AM in response to jsardi

Good call to start a new discussion. I have submitted a bug report and will reply here with any info from Apple.

I've also noticed it seems like I'm in a near constant mdworking indexing mode, which may be unrelated but it seems to have popped up about the same time.

If I try to use Safari when Numbers is open, my system usually gets so unresponsive I have to power it off.

I am running a local network based on Mavericks/Server 3.0.2 with (in this case) a Mavericks client.

Tim

Jan 30, 2014 2:31 AM in response to jsardi

I have adressed this issue in
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5833458?tstart=0

and was asked to give the iWork-people answers to the following Qs: (answers included)

All my problems started w the new iWork-updates

- Please ask for the OSX and Pages versions.

Pages 5.1 newest version, updated January 24th

OS X 10.9.1

- Is iCloud file sync On?

Turned off everything, to no effect

- What apps are configured with the Media Library (IPhone and Aperture)?

iPhoto

- Are there a log of photos on the desktop Mac?

How do I know? (It's a MacbookPro

Feb 13, 2014 8:35 AM in response to jsardi

I'm having the same issues with Pages and com.apple.MediaLIbraryService which seems to also over-use my cpu and memory sometimes with iTunes, and Numbers. All of my media are on my harddrive (itunes, iPhoto) and they are both quite large (iTunes over 500GB, and iPhoto over 100GB).

When I quit Pages the offending process quits as well.

Frustrating. I'm not sure how to 'downgrade' my Pages back to a previous version as has been listed as a possible solution. I deleted it today and downloaded it anew from AppStore. It's 5.1 I think.

I've also reported this to Apple.

Any hints would be appreciated. Really.

C

Feb 13, 2014 10:27 AM in response to James Williams2

Hello James.

This is what I did (only possible if you have a Back up and Time capsule)

Go to the day before you downloaded (updated) pages using the Time Capsule. Go to applications. Copy the Pages App back to your applications folder (as it is now). Computer will ask you if you want to replace it. Click "yes"... open Pages... verify the Pages Version by clicking on the upper bar Pages > About Pages. It should say 5.0.1.

WARNING:

Some say that by doing this you may not be able to open documents you have worked with the newest version. It didn't happen to me. But to avoid this save your latest documents as Pages 09 docs.

Hope it helps.

ONE IMPORTANT THING: On system preferences go to App Store and "uncheck" all the boxes except the one that says "automatically chek for updates". Pages will keep asking to "upgrade" just click no, until a newer version (bug fixed) comes out.

Feb 20, 2014 1:56 PM in response to ringers

For what it's worth, I am now using Pages on iCloud.com as a get around. Still doesn't help with iTunes, though, which has the same problem. I'm relatively new to experiencing problems with my MacBook Pro. Do apple take notice of problems reported to them? How long do we think this will go on? For heaven's sake, I looked at Microsoft office on line today. Is that really what apple want? Don't think so.

Pages 5.1 and Numbers 3.1 hanging - "com.apple.MediaLibraryService" taking huge amount of RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.