Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display is not Recognizing Keyboard

I'm having an issue with 4 separate Thunderbolt Displays, and 4 separate MacBook Pros, and 4 separate Wired Keyboards with Numeric Keypads where the Display is NOT recognizing the keyboard.

The keyboard is plugged into the Thunderbolt Display. When you power up the MBP, some times the Keyboard is not recognized at all. Even more random is how to resolve this. Sometimes all you have to do is log into OS X with the MBP's built-in keyboard, and the keyboard will then work. However this isn't always the case. In some instances after logging in System Profiler still does not detect the wired keyboard. Sometimes a reset of the SMC on the MPB and/or the Thunderbolt Display *might* resolve the issue, but on one machine it never does. The only guaranteed way is to unplug and then plug the keyboard back in once the user is in OS X.

So far this issue has occurred both on Mountain Lion as well as Mavericks. 2 of the machines have nothing but the keyboard connected, while the other two are almost full of peripherals that are connected. And even on those, unplugging the external devices to isolate the problem does no good.

All of these keyboards are either less than 2, or even less than 1 year old. On a somewhat related note, I also have 8 other iMacs (Late 2012, 21.5") that will also randomly cease to see their keyboards, yet will work once you either swap keyboards, or likewise login and then reconnect the Keyboard (I'll use ARD for this).

Any ideas on this at all? Somehow I feel that this is more of an issue with the Keyboards than anything else, but we'll see.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 6:21 AM

1 reply

Thunderbolt Display is not Recognizing Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.