Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the read write speeds of the new Mac Pro's storage options?

The subject line says it all.. I would hate to go for the 1TB option only to have it be slower than the 512GB.

Thanks

Dimitri

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), null

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 9:57 AM

I cannot tell you the speed of the 512 GB new Mac Pro's internal storage, but I have the new Mac Pro with 1TB of internal storage and I just checked it with Blackmagic Design's Speed Test program, and I get write speeds of 980-1000 MB/sec and read speeds of 870-900 MB/sec. This is running the test with 3 GB selected as the file size. I report ranges becuase this test gives some variablity from run to run. I have seen write speeds of over 1 GB/sec and read speeds ocassionally slightly in excess of 900 MB/sec.

Tom

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2014 9:57 AM in response to DimitriKatsaros

I cannot tell you the speed of the 512 GB new Mac Pro's internal storage, but I have the new Mac Pro with 1TB of internal storage and I just checked it with Blackmagic Design's Speed Test program, and I get write speeds of 980-1000 MB/sec and read speeds of 870-900 MB/sec. This is running the test with 3 GB selected as the file size. I report ranges becuase this test gives some variablity from run to run. I have seen write speeds of over 1 GB/sec and read speeds ocassionally slightly in excess of 900 MB/sec.

Tom

Jan 31, 2014 10:17 AM in response to DimitriKatsaros

Samsung starts mass producing PCIe SSDs with 1400MB/s read speedsBy Matthew Humphries Jun. 17, 2013 11:27 am

When the new MacBook Air got the teardown treatment last week, there wasn’t much different from the previous model apart from the addition of a Haswell processor, bigger battery, dual microphones, and a new SSD.

In fact, it’s that SSD that was the most unexpected new component, as it saw Apple switch from a SATA to a PCIe-connected storage solution.

That faster storage solution isn’t going to be limited to MacBook Airs , though. The PCIe SSD was supplied to Apple by Samsung, and Samsung has today announced it is already mass producing the drives.

The new drive is known as the XP941 and Samsung will offer it in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB configurations. It achieves read speeds of 1,400MB/s, which clocks it at 2.5x faster than a SATA SSD. It also only weighs 6 grams and measures 80 x 22mm. Samsung claims it only takes up a 7th of the space occupied by a typical 2.5-inch SSD.

With Samsung being the only company currently boasting mass production of such drives, supplies may be stretched depending on how many manufacturers decide to use them.

Apple is surely already taking a large chunk of the stock every month already, leaving everyone else to fight over the rest.

===========

It depends a lot on the pattern, and also what type of file, what any particular benchmark too. Intech SpeedTools gives you more flexability in read and write file tests - SSD writes are highly variable, it is the high IOPS and high reads that boost a system so much.

People that were using PCIe SSD 6G and multiple SSDs have found that Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop scratch AND having the system on their SSD run smoothly, fast, even faster than those "olde" SATA3 6G controllers they were using to get 800-900MB/sec.

I just don't think you looked on Barefeats or Googled long enough to find some reviews, and there have been more - the large Anandtech review of the nMP is a good start.

Lightroom Perspective:

http://tony-hart.com/blog/essays/2014/01/mac-pro-a-lightroom-perspective/

Aperture, Lightroom and Capture One

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1542274

Unboxed and Tested

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1692536

nMP review from a 3,1 owner

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1695308

Anandtech's Big review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013

Feb 6, 2016 3:50 AM in response to DimitriKatsaros

I could tell you this I recently purchase a mac pro late 2013 and the first one had a graphics issues but the 256 SSD that came with the basic quad core was amazingly fast so fast that when I return the first mac pro because of Flickering issues, I got the second mac pro just to find my deception with the Flash drive I have two different readings. the lowest one is from the second mac pro just exchange this week and the previous one with graphics issues which was purchase on the 20 of Jan User uploaded file

This one I just picked up yesterday with my deception to find out the speed on the disk I don't know why apple does this but I will be arguable wondering why so much different in components specs

User uploaded file

Feb 6, 2016 4:09 AM in response to lllaass

I first bought the mac pro the apple store online, had it shipped to my nearest apple store and when I notice a graphic problem with the mac pro I immediately wanted to switch it up for a new one after 2 trip ordeal finally I had it switch for a new one out of the box and all of sudden I see this slower speed Flash drive the first one was purchase in Jan and the second one I picked it up yesterday, meaning I think I got an older mac pro from the store stock...... Mind you this is a computer that is not sold so widely.... The first one was so fast I was flipping how fast it was just as a basic quad core model with no customization but the second one I did the black magic speed disk test and was disappointed by it I don't know if I want to spend another two or three days with out a computer because now the graphics card is perfect but the **** SSD is mad slow. This has to do with hardware they might of used a new flash drive on the first mac pro I purchase which was jan of this year, but the second one was seal and in the original packaging black box not refurbish both machine were purchase with the normal packaging box, they both were not refurbish....

Feb 6, 2016 4:18 AM in response to lllaass

The first mac pro was getting over a gig constantly of speed but I return that machine because it had a graphic issue, but the second one came back with a much slower flash drive, and its the second mac pro I return the third one I don't know what I would if if I will switch this one or not but I am getting pretty tired of this back and fourth thing, especially with this kind of product that has fluctuation in components quality....

Feb 7, 2016 1:49 AM in response to lllaass

Ok I did some investigation seems to me that the one with insane speed on the mac pro which I recently replace the first one had some insane speed which Iam thinking that it is using the Samsung Flash PCIE latest generation flash, and apple put it in the most recent batch of Mac Pros, if you get the Sandisk flash drives you would get slower speed.

if you go to the system information and go to Sata/Sata express tab and look for this code APPLE SSD SM0256F and search the web for it it will tell you what disk you have in your mac pro, I figure something was so strange two flash drives one with insane speed compare to the other. With my bad luck I had to return the mac pro with the flash drive that used the Samsung Version and the replacement has the Sandisk version which is a much slower speed.....

Feb 7, 2016 2:02 AM in response to lllaass

this is because you have either a sandisk flash storage drive instead of the Samsung latest generation of Flash storage that are in the 1400 read and write speeds.

this is my flash storage of the mac pro that I had replace from the first one which had a graphics problem and the replacement came with a sandisk drive instead of the samsung..

SM0256F if your flash drive has this code its a sandisk.

What are the read write speeds of the new Mac Pro's storage options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.