Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro retina screen damaged using alcohol swab

User uploaded file

I have used alcohol swab on my macbook laptop screen and its damaged,

can some one tell me what is damaged using alchol, coz i dont know what to search on net, is this black tint coating, or what

and should i have to replace full screen or only coating.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 12:39 PM

48 replies

Feb 1, 2014 1:41 PM in response to sms2friends

sms2friends wrote:

can some one tell me what is damaged using alchol

The Macbook screen is full laminated glass coated with "layers of silicon dioxide and niobium pentoxide so precise and so thin they’re measured in atoms".

I suspect it is this coating that you have damaged.

Apple give clear advice on cleaning screens:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226

They emphasise a damp lint free cloth and never use alcohol or other solvents on displays.

Feb 1, 2014 11:57 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

How i can remove it completly and what would be the side effects of removing it completly or what measure i have to take after removing it completely coz right now i cant read any thing easily on laptop.

and replacment of whole lcd would cost 500$ + or is thier any glass screen which can be replaced. or i have to go with full lcd replacement

Feb 2, 2014 12:34 AM in response to sms2friends

the bezel is glued, its an evil paid to take it apart. if you tried to remove it all, youd likely crack the LCD or worse, get the inverter board wet and ruin it.

Contact Apple for evaluation for replacing your Monitor assy.

dont ever ever use solvents on a screen, thats been common knowledge for many many years now. 😟

Considerations for the long life of your MacBook. Handling and environmental care tips

Feb 2, 2014 1:02 AM in response to sms2friends

sms2friends

than what the best way to remove dirt

what kind of alien dirt do you have that doesnt remove with a soft damp cloth? 😕

Cleaning Your MacBook

Use a very lightly damp, soft (if you can squeeze the cloth very tightly and even a drop comes out, its still too damp), lint-free cloth to clean the computer’s exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings and be very careful not to get the damp cloth around the trackpad edges or around the inside edge between the monitor and its bezel. Do not spray any type of liquid directly on the computer. Do not use sprays, solvents, or abrasives; do not attempt to use any solvents on the LCD display either directly (especially!) or indirectly. There is never any call to use any type of lens cleaning solvents on the screen of your LCD display. Again, do not spray any liquid directly on the screen. Never use Kleenex, or paper towels, these are abrasive. Soft cotton cloth only or a microfiber lens cleaning cloth.

⚠No rubbing alcoholic, no glass cleaners of any variety, no acetone, no lens cleaning sprays, no AR coating sprays, no sprays sold as "for your LCD TV", no sprays sold as "for your notebook display". Water only, and never sprayed on, and never dripping wet even slightly on the cloth.

Feb 2, 2014 8:40 AM in response to sms2friends

I think you need to call them both first. The $59 is for a unibody, which is not what you have according to your first post. You said you had a retina. The other link seems to have different pricing for a retina as well, but it's less clear. Like I said, call them and explain exactly what you did and what you need.

Feb 2, 2014 9:27 AM in response to sms2friends

I don't think either are offering retina screen repairs.

I did a search and found 3 USA based repairers offering screen repairs - 2 at $400 and one at $740!!!!

At those prices, I would go for the reassurance of Apple's own service which would not invalidate your warranty (if you have one). And then I would treat my MBP with great care to ensure it doesn't happen again!

Feb 2, 2014 11:13 AM in response to Strawb268

Strawb,

The Macservice site did have some Retina screen services, but you had to poke around a little. And you're right, they're more expensive than what he thought. That's why I said he better call.

User uploaded file
Glass Replacement OnlyUser uploaded file $199

User uploaded file

Screen w/ Glass $379

User uploaded file

Screen w/ HousingUser uploaded file $649

User uploaded file

Retina LED* $549

User uploaded file

Retina Upper Section* $699

User uploaded file

*Compatible with 2012+ Retina models only.
Orders include free ground shipping. Next day from $49. details
User uploaded file

Macbook pro retina screen damaged using alcohol swab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.